Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ski wear

stevejan is offline Member

Default ski wear

is it cheaper to buy ski wear in the UK or NZ ? we are not sure whether to buy it before we move to NZ in the new year.
    Cheers

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default ski wear

Ski wear in NZ? That's shorts and t-shirts!

I don't know to be honest. i expect it's probably cheaper here as it's far more common place to buy ski gear here than in the UK. If I see a shop selling it, i'll price it up for you.

In the mean while, take a look at somewhere like http://www.rebelsport.co.nz

They have a downloadable catalogue, but whether ski gear is in it at the moment what with summer approaching, I wouldnt like to say!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

NickampJacky Guest

Default ski wear

Much cheaper in NZ, my brother kitted out all five of his family at warehouse for the price of a decent jacket here.

stevejan is offline Member

Default ski wear

Thanks for the info guys. We realise it is fast approaching summer in nz, but the way the house sale is going (or not!) by the time we get there next year it will be getting back to autumn/winter and we were trying to convince the boys it's not a bad thing to have to wait as they will be able to ski when we get there!!!! Just trying to keep them happy, a few months seems like years when you are only 8 and 10 years old. People have actually started to ask us "wern't you going to emigrate to nz"? Once you tell people your going they expect you to be gone quickly - if only :icon_frown:
    Just to drag on a bit more.............. What is the weather REALLY like most of the time out there? We read and hear so many different stories, like "some houses are really cold and they don't have any heating", the west is wet and windy, the further south the colder it gets, and then we believe north of Auckland you don't actually get any winter, just beautiful sunshine, also that the temperature rarely drops below 11 deg.C.
    Someone tell us the truth please!!!!!!!

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default ski wear

Since I was only in New Zealand in late May which is close approaching winter, I cannot provide reliable weather information. However, I guess being surrounded by water (sea and ocean), New Zealand has pleasant summer and mild winter but if you go up the elevation, that is another situation...

In May, the temperature is very comfortable in the day (maybe 13-19C) and in the night chilly (maybe 8-13C), I was in south island but generally it is comfortable compared to many other cold (bbrrrr...!) countries.

I am happy to find out that temp is still very comfortable now.. 15ish in the north and south..CooL!!! :icon_razz:

Pulsarblu

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default ski wear

Oppps...I intend to include a link..that you can scroll you mouse and it will tell you the temperatures for various places in New Zealand...

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/weather/Default.asp?c=w

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default ski wear

Another link. You can click on the menu on the right. 'Current issue' gives you an idea of what's going on at the moment.
    http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncc/

[img:caac85dfde]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/wetter/sunny.gif[/img:caac85dfde]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

boorer is offline Member

Default ski wear

Normally would say cheaper in NZ BUT!!!!!!!

try Matalan - I bought incredible deals on skiwear there (and have used for 2 ski trips - including NZ last July!). e.g. ski jacket ?15, salopettes ?10.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default ski wear

On the research I've done on Climate, it seems that almost everywhere had more rainfall AND more sunshine hours so I'm guessing when it rains it 'rains' and when it shiny it's shiny til it 'rains' as oppose to the endless days of overcast drizzle days in the UK.

Invercargill in the far south seems to be much like Edinburgh both in temperature and rainfall. Surprisingly it's drier than Wellington and Auckland but colder obviously.

Christchurch seems the most English in climate and temperature but a few of degrees hotter on average and not as cold in the winter as much of the UK.

Welly, windy, wet but again when it's sunny it great meaning many days will be warmer than an average english days. Often the wind can spoil a good day apparently tho.

Auckland, being so far north is a lot more humid and several degrees hotter than the UK. Rainfall is still high tho really.

Just my perceptional (<<a word?) summary if you don't fancy trawling through loads of links.

NickampJacky Guest

Default ski wear

It seems to be true that alot of houses dont have central heating, but most if not all on the south island either have a solid fuel stove in the main room or a heat pump (an aircondioner that either warms the air or cools the air dependant on the season!). "wet" central heating & boiler systems seem to be few and far between. I think that the lack of mains gas is a major factor - with solid fuel (ie logs) being a cheap and plentiful fuel supply.

I dont think that I have much to add about the great temperature/ precipitation debate, other than last winter some friends of ours went skiing on the saturday and had a bbq on the beach on the sunday (but the sea was a little too cold to swim in). In my view having a climate like this means you can have your cake and eat it, and even go back for seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast