Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auckland Santa Parade

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Auckland Santa Parade

Had a great day out in Auckland yesterday (Sunday) at the Santa Parade. We decided to go in on the train as it was just $20 for a family return and extra trains had been laid on. The City was just about as crowded as it gets here in NZ but still room to find a good position on Queen Street. The floats were colourful and entertaining with Santa bringing up the rear of a one and a half hour parade. The kids absolutely loved it and we adults were enjoying it just as much. A very nice Christmas tradition but nothing seems to be making us feel Chritmassy - must be the sun. We are resigned to inventing our own family Christmas traditions around NZ family life. I don't know if we'll end up on the beach but we certainly won't be sitting around a television scoffing rich foods that we don't really need, nor will we be drinking ourselves into a benevolent stupor. Not that we ever did in the UK.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Bit early for a Santa Parade, isn't it? I mean it is still November. Our local parade isn't much better - it is on the 2nd December. Maybe if the parades were closer to Christmas it would feel more Christmassy. :icon_neutral:

Christmas certainly seems more low key here. Good thing ... I think. :icon_neutral: Not too sure myself how we will spend the celebration. Certainly don't want to spend five hours cooking a turkey etc. in the summer heat to end up throwing half of it away two days later. Probably get a duck and anything normally too expensive to bother with. Like in the UK, we will no doubt go out for a walk before or after dinner. If the weather is nice, we will take the kids to the beach on Boxing Day to try out their new surf boards.
    :114:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Im sure there are good financial and commercial reasons. Wellington had theirs on the 20th November. I wonder who will have the one nearest Christmas?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Know what you mean, even though the deccies are being put up, there just isnt the christmas feel that you got in the UK.

I think it's a battle between what you look forward to. In the UK, you looked forward to summer, then looked forward to xmas. Now, you look forward to summer and seem to forget about xmas!

The good thing is though, that when xmas dinner (whatever it may be!) is over and done with and the pressies are all unwrapped, you dont have to sit inside in the freezing cold, bored our of your brain watching rubbish on TV or listening to auntie rabbit on about something you don't really understand, nor probably care about! Kids can get out and enjoy their new toys, and you can just go relax in the sun, go for a walk or 'insert other activity here'.

If you think you'll miss all that cold xmas stuff, fear not! You can always have your roast dinner in the freezing cold in the mid-year christmas they have here!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

That's true but knowing my missus she'd want presents and if she gets presents the kids etc

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I?d like to think having a warm Christmas wouldn?t bother us, as we have that now. True, there isn?t any Christmas spirit here either, but, at our age, that isn?t a problem. We?re glad not to have to put up with all the hype and pressure that a UK Christmas brings, crowds in the shops and biting cold or wet weather. I?m sure Christmas in NZ will be thoroughly enjoyable and I, for one, am really looking forward to it (when our time comes). In the UK it had got to the stage where, once Christmas dinner was over, it was a case of ?Well, that?s it for another year?.

Do they have big sales in the shops after Christmas, like in the UK? That would be something to look forward to.
    [img:7dbd5eafc5]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/xmas/k020.gif[/img:7dbd5eafc5][img:7dbd5eafc5]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/xmas/h015.gif[/img:7dbd5eafc5][img:7dbd5eafc5]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/xmas/f015.gif[/img:7dbd5eafc5] (Just getting you in the mood)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nattydread is offline God like figure

[quote:f3d389de44]If you think you'll miss all that cold xmas stuff, fear not! You can always have your roast dinner in the freezing cold in the mid-year christmas they have here!
    [/quote:f3d389de44]

what's that then?
    don't tell me my spoilt little brats are going to get more spoilter,,,

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Dont worry, it's mostly a gimmick when shops have sales on etc.

Some shops put decorations back up, but thats about the limit!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

nattydread is offline God like figure

i thought jesus was getting all self important like the Queen and ordering two birthdays..

Yes Mother Bear and all other inveterate shoppers - they do have big sales with real bargains. I just hope I don't find, as I did every year in the UK, the present I bought for the wife a lot cheaper. How annoying is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast