Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange opinions of NZ

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Strange opinions of NZ

The number of NZ forums I've been on where someone has complained that New Zealand is in the dark ages in terms of wages, employment, modern luxuries etc.

I mean, I know that NZ wages are low compared to most other Western countries but to claim that NZ is not living in the 21st century is ludicrous. Last time I heard NZers have cars, computers, TVs etc.

Fortunately, it seems that everyone on this forum is sane!

tottefan

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: Strange opinions of NZ

tottefan

Well ... not sure about myself. :D

I do wonder what is '21st century living'. Is it the availability of tax credits? Plasma screen tvs? One hundred and one things you can do with your mobile phone or tv remote? Frankly, I am not impressed (well, I am with the tax credits ;) ::): ).

With luxuries, I would say NZ is probably still in the 20th century but you can live within the 21st if you pay for it. Don't know about work conditions. Wages are a pain to most and even New Zealanders are aware that their pay is a tad too low - the trouble is that increasing wages means an increase in prices, and inflation. Nurses, teachers, prison officers etc. should certainly be paid more.

Considering NZ's small population, it is really quite amazing how 20/21st century it really is.

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

well, it is the open spaces, nature, simple things that most people are looking for when deciding New Zealand for immigration..

21st century technology, luxuries and etc are everywhere, New Zealand is unique in a way that the balance is achieved between enough and too much..

pulsarblu

deleted

Some people make it sound as though it's a real struggle for most NZers to even buy food and pay the bills! I suppose it generally depends on your attitude to life; my dad has been paid pretty poorly for many years but we still manage to survive and have a reasonably nice house. But then we've always had a fairly strict budget and have never got ourselves into any kind of debt.

Having said that we hardly buy any clothes (there's 5 of us) and our car is about 13 years old - and we only have one. Could it be that most people in the UK feel that they are all entitled to nice things without necessarily having to pay for them? Everyone seems to think that they should have a new car, the latest trainers etc.

That you can't survive on $60,000 a year is a load of nonsense IMO. A decent meal can be made really cheaply using natural ingredients. My mother often used to cook a meal which fed 5 people for under ?5 and it was healthy. I personally think that people who complain about food being too expensive don't cook proper food - of course convenience food is going to be more expensive.

tottefan

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You know what the answer is, don't you tottefan?

Stop looking at other forums!!!

You are right though, it's the attitudes people come here with that makes them fail.

There's a simple, unarguable answer to this whole debate... "If the kiwis can do it, then why the bloody hell can't you?"

Thats a general 'you' by the way, not targetted at anyone specific!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

moggy is offline God like figure

I think this attitude tends to come from those people who have gone out to NZ, failed to adapt their ways, and either come home with their tailes between their legs blaming NZ for their failure or those who choose to stay there and just become one of those whinging poms that NZers really hate.

We don't have a TV - does that make us a third world family (by choice I should add). I don't believe it does. We don't have one because it is not important to us. Just because the Kiwis may choose to spend their money on items that perhaps your average brit would not consider important, and not spend their money on items your average brit would, does not make it a third world country.
    Similarly, those people who I hear often walk around barefoot on NI, don't do it because they can't afford, shoes, they do it from choice.

Stop looking at other forums!!!
    I've noticed that people on other forums are generally much more argumentative as well.

For example, I said in a post that IMO 'Brits over 70 are generally less materialistic because they come from a different era'. Someone replied that 'my post was complete utter cra*', which is fair enough - I don't mind someone disagreeing. However, when I pointed out that one of his previous posts contained a contradiction he started getting nasty. I tried to defuse the situation by posting a nice reply but he wasn't interested in being nice so he wrote another abusive post. :-/

What is it with some Brits - you can't even post your opinions on a blimming website without someone being abusive. :(

tottefan.

skybluearmy is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Strange opinions of NZ

With luxuries, I would say NZ is probably still in the 20th century but you can live within the 21st if you pay for it. Don't know about work conditions. Wages are a pain to most and even New Zealanders are aware that their pay is a tad too low - the trouble is that increasing wages means an increase in prices, and inflation. Nurses, teachers, prison officers etc. should certainly be paid more.
    Totally agree ;)

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I've noticed that people on other forums are generally much more argumentative as well.

For example, I said in a post that IMO 'Brits over 70 are generally less materialistic because they come from a different era'. Someone replied that 'my post was complete utter cra*', which is fair enough - I don't mind someone disagreeing. However, when I pointed out that one of his previous posts contained a contradiction he started getting nasty. I tried to defuse the situation by posting a nice reply but he wasn't interested in being nice so he wrote another abusive post. >:(

What is it with some Brits - you can't even post your opinions on a blimming website without someone being abusive. :(
    tottefan.
    Hi tottefan,

I saw your post and really felt for you, even had some good argumentive points to add ... but chickened out rather than be similarly crucified. :-[ ::)

There are certainly some stressed folks about on these forums, guess it 'goes with the territory'. There is a nicer bunch on here though!

8-)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast