Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Diesel, Petrol etc.

Julian is offline Member

Default Cars, Diesel, Petrol etc.

How much tax is levied for every km travelled in a diesel vehicle on NZ roads ??if thats how it works. ?Any help would be appreciated. ?I'm trying to work out which fuel is the better option. ? ? Julian

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Diesel Tax

I think the charge is about 3 cents per k/m. I wouldn't want to own a diesel here, too much of a pain having to record your mileage and then can be a nasty shock when you have to pay the levy. ?At least with petrol, whatever's in the tank is yours!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Diesel Tax

Don't quite understand why diesel should be a hassle, you prebuy in 1000km units and take the occasional glance at the speedo. We've been doing it since we got here and noone worries if you are a couple of k's over your deadline ( I guess the police would be). We tend to prebuy 10,000 kms. No problem and definitely cheaper and more economical than petrol

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Diesel Tax

Probably just me being lazy ? :). The less things I need to think about, the better!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Diesel Tax

It sounds like this is their way to tax road-use vehicles but not farm or other off-road vehicles. In California they sell two flavors of diesel (off-road is dyed), and woe to the person who gets caught cheating. It seems like NZ's way is more efficient. If you're into playing chemist, you could try making biodiesel. My OH made it when she had a diesel car. It's easy and inexpensive, especially if you get waste veggie oil from a restaurant. Diesels tend to be more fuel efficient, and ?tend to last longer that petrol engines.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Julian is offline Member

Default Diesel Tax

Thanks for your help guys. Am/was interested in purchasing Grand Voyager (diesel) in NZ only to find that this version is not available. :-? Very strange. Julian

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Diesel Tax

Rather than risk a bigger than usual posting by putting this on in full, I've added the link instead. ?It's not exactly to do with tax on diesel but, nevertheless, does concern motorists. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10356223
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Diesel Tax

It is a bit worrying isn't it? Spectres of high vehicle and driver taxation in the UK and all that. What is particularly worrying is the response, or lack of it, from motorists and motoring pressure groups. Perhaps I'm being a bit too quick to judge but the prospect of more taxes in an already highly taxed country tends to make my hackles rise. I suppose if all the money actually goes to the improvement of roads generally that would be a bit more palatable. It would seem however that the whole nation may well be asked to pay to meet the motoring needs of just one commuting section of the population.

Blog Entries

Default Diesel Tax

The argument goes on.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Default Diesel Tax

Petrol prices drop

Motorists might want to fill up on the way to work. Shell has dropped its petrol prices. Ninety-one grade (regular) petrol is down three cents to $1.33.9, while 96 (super) is down two cents to $1.38.9. Shell says it follows a decrease in the local price of finished oil. The other major petrol retailers all matched Shell's price cut. Caltex spokesman John Kerr said the drop reflected decreasing international prices and a strong New Zealand dollar.

Still the cheapest way to go!
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast