Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Careful all ye Sun worshippers

Julian is offline Member

Default Careful all ye Sun worshippers

On a more serious note

New Zealand Health Information Service (NZHIS) has reported that, MELANOMA - diagnosis and related deaths, nationally, show consistent growth of around 7% over a 10 year period.

So, cover all those vulnerable areas and be safe! ?[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hmmmm ... thanks for the reminder to get an eye on those 'moles'. Think I might make a personal map of them with their size and condition - just in case. Do one each for the kids too.

It was a gorgeous day yesterday and the town had its half marathon 'fun run'. At the finishing line families and friends congregated on the domain, some having barbeques, massages(!) or just wandering around the stalls and childrens play areas. The afternoon sun was hot, really hot. But nobody needed to take their sunblock ... it was available free in what looked like big soap dispensers. Amazing! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]

::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Now that's taking an interest in community health! It makes sense in a country with universal health care - ounce of prevention and all that.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

But nobody needed to take their sunblock ... it was available free in what looked like big soap dispensers.
    What a great way to encourage people to use sunblock. Perhaps if they then see that it works to protect them from burning, they might just take the idea on board for the future.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I am mortified ... thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed ... [smiley=icon_redface.gif] [smiley=icon_sad.gif]

Gorgeous day yesterday so we went to the beach with a picnic, slapped the suncream on my 'decent' white bits and all over the kids' exposed areas. Sat back to do the Sunday Herald crossword whilst the kids played in the sea.

Two hours later a nagging intuition told me to get the kids out of the sun. "Aww mum! Look we are fine, just a bit longer???" Half an hour later I am in the car with some grumpy kids. A further half an hour later we are home and their faces have become red, their shoulders and backs red. Even though it was waterproof, the lotion had obviously come off in the sea ... but looking again at the bottle it said "reapply frequently". [smiley=icon_frown.gif]

Fortunately, their sunburn is mild but I really think here in NZ you soon learn from experience to respect the strength of the sun.

[smiley=icon_neutral.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I sympathise Glenda - we got caught out the other day too [smiley=icon_redface.gif]. Our daughter was playing in the garden in her paddling pool just before tea-time. She was out there for no more than half an hour and when she came in and took her swimsuit off, she had burnt everywhere her skin was exposed on her back - very mild fortunately, but just goes to show how quickly it happens. I was shocked that the sun was still so intense at 5.30pm!

One lesson learnt [smiley=018.gif]

Blog Entries

Wow- at 5:30? I recall getting browner than usual when I was there, even with sublock, but that's vicious sunlight! It's definitely something to ease into, even in gentler areas. Hopefully the sunburns will be few and far between for all.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

I gather that sunscreen does wash off in the water, and may only be useful for as little as 20 minutes.

What you can do is get a light t shirt for your kiddies in the sea, just make them wear it in the water.

Better is to get them a wetsuit from the warehouse. - they are popular among kids, they provide boyancy, protect them from the sun and keep them warm. I see heaps of children in them now.

Personally I never bother about sunscreen, I go red, get brown, and it fades off in the winter :)

Blog Entries

I go red, get brown, and it fades off in the winter
    That's how I go, though I only burn if I'm out all day. I started regularly using sunblock about 10 years ago, but my arms and face were already starting to show "sunspots". I've known sunbathers who in their 30s already had thick, leathery skin that made them look older. Just a warning to you youngsters who think your skin will be great forever.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Skin cancer hits one in four Kiwi farmers
    21 May 2006
    By EMMA PAGE

Nearly one in four farmers have had a skin cancer or suspected cancer removed, a new study shows.Working long hours under the Manawatu sun has left its mark on Federated Farmers president Charlie Pedersen. The 45-year-old has had three skin cancers removed in the past 10 years, placing him in the company of thousands of farmers whose sun exposure puts them at risk.

Research released today by MoleMap shows more than half the 1200 farmers interviewed spent more than eight hours a day outside. 'It's very common to find farmers with scars around the head and neck where they've had pieces cut out,' said Pedersen. 'If you act early with skin cancer, your chances are good. If you delay, the consequences can be severe.'

Between 250 and 300 people die from skin cancer in New Zealand every year. New Zealand has one of the world's highest rates of melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer. There are about 1800 new cases of melanoma and about 45,000 cases of non-melanoma reported every year.

Waikato Hospital dermatologist Amanda Oakley said skin cancer was prevalent in the general population and there was no doubt New Zealand's 70,000 or more farmers were at greater risk because of their long hours outdoors. Oakley recommends working in the shade in the middle of the day as the best defence, followed by covering up and liberally applying sunscreen. She said sunscreen prevented sunburn, but UV light could also cause other damage such as suppressing the immune system.

Looking out for moles or marks that changed shape or colour over several weeks or months and getting them checked immediately was crucial. MoleMap general manager Gavin Foulsham said its research showed farmers were generally aware of the danger and were taking steps to counter it.

Pederson agreed attitudes had changed. 'I know there are a lot more people wearing hats and covering up,' he said. 'It's quite rare to find blokes out and about with no shirt on.'

Women were better at protecting their skin. Older farmers, especially those over 50, tended to wear brimmed hats and younger farmers wore sunblock and worked in the shade.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast