Thread: wildlife in nz

angel is offline Junior Member

Default wildlife in nz

Anyone know what sort of wildlife is in new zealand?.Do they have koalas.?Not too many spiders i hope .I know there's plent of kiwis!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default wildlife in nz

There's a huge array of wildlife here, including many spiders! I'm pretty sure there are no koalas here, and sadly the kiwi is becoming an endangered species at the rate their numbers are dropping.

If you like birds though, it's not unusual to see kestrels, and actually get right up close to them.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default wildlife in nz

cheers taffy.I hate spiders!I see loads of kestrels at mo in this country as i work with wildlife.I was hoping there'd b different animals out there.I prefer mammals.Love hedgehogs.They call me hog queen!Its just i dont really know if i want the same kind of work out there or maybe just work with animals volunteerly n work in something totally different.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default wildlife in nz

The wildlife in NZ usually consists of birds.

There are no native mammals in NZ (other than a small bat), so the only places you'll find koala's, kangaroos, taffy's, bears, etc is in a zoo.

There are only 2 types of poisonous spiders here, and they aren't very common.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default wildlife in nz

[quote:07409993ab="jamesthecarman"]

There are only 2 types of poisonous spiders here, and they aren't very common.[/quote:07409993ab]

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default wildlife in nz

But there are a number of imported mammals, including hedgehogs. But I doubt DOC is focusing on preserving their populations. Let's see... They do have 3 species of pinniped mammals. Birds: several species of penguins, a couple of hawk/falcony raptor, the morepork (a small owl), saddleback, kaka (a parrot), tui, bellbird, fantail, and several etcs. Reptiles: the tuatara, a fascinating link between dinosaurs and birds (they have pin feather-type bumps).
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default wildlife in nz

Here's a couple of links to previous posts on here:

http://www.movetonz.org/forum/viewto...ghlight=spider
    http://www.movetonz.org/forum/viewto...ghlight=spider

As well as the penguins Selchie mentions, you have the added pleasure of dolphin watching or swimming with dolphins.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default wildlife in nz

Im dreading the spiders!URRRGH.Plenty of other things to look forward to though.Do they have whales?The penguins are coool.look forward to them. :038: What about venomous snakes?My fiance hates them.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default wildlife in nz

Yes, I think there are whales, porpoises and dolphins to be seen at times in some of the coastal waters. There aren't any venomous snakes in NZ (in fact, there aren't any snakes at all) which, I must say, I'm very glad about as I'm not too keen on these sneaky, slithering critters. [img:d38f5dc610]http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/tiere/k038.gif[/img:d38f5dc610] But don't forget the possum, which is wreaking havoc there.

Take a look at this site, using the menu on the left. It gives some idea of the type of wildlife to be found in and around NZ.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/...mals/index.asp

And this one gives a bit more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_animals
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default wildlife in nz

I for one will miss snakes. Also my crows and ravens. Magpies are OK, but they're second-tier corbies. But there are so many other critters to enjoy, and so fewer people by whom to be annoyed.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s