Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made the STUPID mistake of looking at houses for sale and plots available of devlopment today after refraining for the last several months. Feeling super sad now and just finished designing the perfect house for our new build on a nice 1/4 acre footprint to can get for stupidly cheap compared with the UK.

Also threw the whole Christchurch area thing up in the air after finding niver houses for cheaper prices in the Kapiti Coast area north of Wellington/Upper Hutt.

There was a house 'a stonesthrow from the beach' with 'BMX track, netball and tennis courts just over the road' with 4 bedrooms and an ensuite for a tiny bit over ?100k. Wounded absolutely wounded.

I know we won't even be able to buy until we get PR really anyway which even further off, but the rental markets still great too compared to here. I know I won't be able to stop looking now. DAMN YOU REALENZ.CO.NZ SPAWN OF SATAN!!!! :icon_twisted:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote:ab3e47dcfb="SteveyC"]I know we won't even be able to buy until we get PR really anyway[/quote:ab3e47dcfb]

You can buy when you like, Stevey. You don't have to have PR, just enough money in your bank account. I think there are some restrictions on how much land you can buy and where you can buy if you haven't got PR, but that's all. We've been looking for a while but can't manage to find something that we can do what we want with.

Or do you mean you wouldn't [b:ab3e47dcfb]want [/b:ab3e47dcfb]to buy before you get PR?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Oh I thought you couldn't buy full stop, shows how much I've been keeping up with the relevant side of this site hehe ooops.

What you looking for in particular?

I'd love to go halfs on a project with someone from here that'd be cool to have an expat sharing the adventure with you and being a neighbour to. If a little cliquey (spelt?). Thats wasn't a hint btw before the inevitable puns start trickling in from our ever ridiculing public.

Blog Entries

http://www.real-estate-nz.com/real-estate-nz/buyers1/. Yes you can buy without having any kind of permit/visa/residency.

We're looking to throwing in with Taffy and Welshgirl. Wouldn be nice to get a big plot and build 2 houses or find a big plot with a house on already, but where you could build another house comfortably. Unfortunately, the affordable plots of land seem to be outside the city limits and due to strict laws regarding mass building in these areas, you often can't put 2 properties on one site. That means you could have an acre of ground, but can only put one house on it. Nice that they care about their countryside to that extent, but not very convenient for us.
    Mother Bear

Bummer. I saw a plot earlier that was 1.86 acres and the way the ad was worded seemed to suggest that multiple dwellings wouldn't be a problem.

Is land/property partivularly more expensive in Hamilton then? I thought it would be cheaper if anything that say CC or W'ton.

Couldn't you circumvent those restriction by just building one large house, and dividing in practicaly. I mean we're used to semi-detached living in this country and surely you could design it in such a way that it could be just as private as two detached houses in terms of noise?

Blog Entries

Land is getting more expensive as people are snapping it up very quickly these days. Inside the city limits i.e. suburbia, it's very expensive for just a handkerchief sized plot.

We had thought about building a big house and splitting it, but then we wondered how we'd manage if one of us wanted to move on. It would leave the other family with strangers in close proximity. I don't know if a semi would sell on so well in NZ as they're used to detached places and also, it would be on one title instead of two, so I don't know how we'd stand legally when selling.

Forget to mention, that link I sent before is geared towards expats.
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Perhaps you can find property that's 'splittable', so each parcel can have a house. We've considered that, so that perhaps in the future we could sell off bits of it. But I still want a buffer zone between me and the neighbors. Patrolled by attack geese, and perhaps a militant sheep.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr....htm?key=38153

Buy one of these surely that'll work :icon_biggrin:

Blog Entries

Have you seen the price of the land?!! You could buy a house and bit of land for that price, albeit these are large chunks of land. We'd have to pay to build houses on top of that. If it would be possible to sell on bits of the land that we didn't want and thereby recoup some of our money, it wouldn't be so bad. However, I suspect, as with our other dealings with this type of land, that we wouldn't even be able to split the land into 2, let alone more than that. Rural land sounds nice, but can very rarely be subdivided. It does differ with the different councils, but that's how it comes across around the Hamilton area.

Thanks for the link, anyway.
    Mother Bear

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

I'll be willing to go in with someone. (seriously)

Just have to get the bank to give me some money first :icon_cool:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast