Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you celebrate Christmas in NZ?

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Can you celebrate Christmas in NZ?

Quite a few councils are banning Christmas in Britain because they say it might offend the ethnic minorities. The word 'Christmas' is now not allowed in some areas.

Can you celebrate Christmas in NZ without having to refer to it as 'the Winter holidays'? Can you sing hymns and stuff as well without fear of arrest/offending people?

tottefan.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Unfortunatly you cannot call Christmas 'the Winter holidays' here. This inaccurate descriptor is offensive to all ethnic minorities and cultural groups in NZ on the basis of common sence.

However no one seems offended if you just call it "Christmas" as NZ is not a euro-islamic nation unlike England.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

How much more of this cr*p do we have to take? [img:e23e539813]http://www.crazypics.de/smilies/boese/0654.gif[/img:e23e539813]

I'm sure NZ isn't quite so idiotic when it comes down to enjoying their festive season - not yet, anyway. Let's hope they see reason and don't try to follow suit. The kiwis no doubt do celebrate Christmas, just not as we know it.
    [img:e23e539813]http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/1womo.gif[/img:e23e539813]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

tottefan is offline Senior Member

I don't think it's the ethnic minorities' fault. It's mainly the middle/upper class idiots who run this country.

So what you're saying Netchicken is that in NZ people are allowed to basically say what they want? Sounds good to me. :icon_biggrin:

Tottefan.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

I've always wondered what it would take to make the british really come out in protest. In Ireland it was the Women for Peace (or whatever they were called) but apart from that I can't recall any serious rebellion against this kind of idiocy. The hike in the price of petrol brought comparitively few drivers out although the heat was in there at the.
    I agree that beaurocrats and dogooders are running the country but the passivity of the british psyche seems to run counter to the WW2 Churchill spirit. As I saw writ large on a T shirt the other week: [b:d4394d0f6d]The meek will inherit the earth - if nobody really minds that is.[/b:d4394d0f6d]

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Well, unless I was dreaming when I saw it, there is a motion in parliament here in NZ to actually BAN political correctness!

Unfortunately I can't really remember all the details, but a few others had also heard about it too, so confirming that I wasn't dreaming! I reckon that answers what NZ thinks of PCness, although the motion hasn't quite been passed yet!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

nattydread is offline God like figure

[quote:da96d7b33d]although the motion hasn't quite been passed yet!

[/quote:da96d7b33d]

you can't say that anymore can you?
    some people might be suffering from constipation and any talk of motion passing could be seen as poking fun at them..

I think you should rephrase that one Taffy.

Blog Entries

You are quite right. Consider it rephrased to:

The discussion and policy in said group has not yet been agreed nor disagreed with.

No doubt this is offensive to people who are mute, and people who disagree with policies, and probably people who can't read big words. It's all verbal diarrhea anyway. Oops, there I go offending the constipated again!

No doubt even calling people constipated isnt allowed any more. We should probably be calling it 'Anti-evacutation syndrome' or something.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

One of many articles about the new PC Eradicator position.

Background - The National Party is the more conservative party, and narrowly lost the last election.

[b:320bc00a0f]PC job came as surprise to me too, says Mapp[/b:320bc00a0f]

By Helen Tunnah

PC eradicator Wayne Mapp admits he only found out he had the unusual job when National Party leader Don Brash phoned him in Canada to tell him, the same day he unveiled his caucus reshuffle.

The Herald understands news of the role, including its provocative title, also came as a surprise to most of National?s MPs.

But Dr Mapp says while he might not have known there would be a specific job as Political Correctness Eradicator, it was a subject he had lobbied Dr Brash about for months.

Already Dr Mapp intends to change how he describes the job, saying feedback indicated worries around talk of majority rights.

He said he did not want to be exclusionary, and remarks by author Alan Duff had left him concerned.

"Alan Duff goes way too far ... I was shocked when I heard what he said."

Mr Duff told radio last week he was sick of hearing about minority rights, and wondered why buildings needed ramps just in case a disabled person turned up.

"Who bloody well cares about minority rights," Mr Duff said.

Dr Mapp said he would be issuing a paper on eradicating political correctness.

Blog Entries

Mr Duff is nearly right!

Minority rights certainly shouldn't be ignored, but only where practical, viable, and not detrimental to the majority.

Not being able to say things like 'Black Board' and 'Brainstorming' is just pathetic. No one has banned people saying 'White Bread' or 'White Wash' etc. Why are we still called white people and not ethnic majorities?

A black board is named that because it is a board that, by it's very nature, is coloured black!! Back in school, our black boards were renamed chalk boards, but were later replaced in a refurbishment with 'White Boards', which used felt pens instead of chalk. They were always called white boards, not 'felt boards' or 'pen boards', but did any white people take offence to it? No. In fact, probably the same amount of black people took offence to using a 'black board'.

If your skin is white, you are a white person. If your skin is black, you are a black person. Get over it!! Help disabled people, sure, but is it fair to enforce expensive changes on businesses that may never see a disabled person?

Anyway, this is going off track a little! There's a whole other rant about this in the Coffee Shop :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast