Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Typical!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Typical!!

Having read this on a weather site,

[color=blue:07eeac47bc]November: average rain for N Is, drier for S Is, slightly warmer for N Is, warmer for S Is
    December: wetter for N Is, drier for S Is, slightly cooler for N Is, slightly warmer for S Is.[/color:07eeac47bc]

I placated myself that not being able to go to NZ in December after all was going to be for the best. I then get to read this:

[color=blue:07eeac47bc][b:07eeac47bc]Sunny days ahead
    [/b:07eeac47bc][img:07eeac47bc]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/natur/nature-smiley-006.gif[/img:07eeac47bc]
    04.11.05 6.00am

Throw on your sun hat and slap on some sunscreen, as the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research says temperatures could be on the up for the next three months.

It said the weather should be average or warmer all over New Zealand in its November to January outlook.

Temperatures should be average or above average in the top half of the North Island, the East Coast of the North Island and the top of the South Island. [/color:07eeac47bc]

It had just better wait for us to get there or there will be blood on the moon.

[img:07eeac47bc]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/natur/nature-smiley-016.gif[/img:07eeac47bc]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Typical!!

Don't worry Mother Bear ... summers go on and on and on here. (I hope)
    :004:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default Typical!!

Christchurch just hit 30 Degrees C today!!!

What awesome weather!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Typical!!

Very nice, but please don't use it all up now. Leave some for when we come down in January.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Default Typical!!

[color=red:a6f1fce477]Batten down the hatches! Better not happen while we're there :icon_evil: [/color:a6f1fce477]

[b:a6f1fce477]High chance of cyclones this season [/b:a6f1fce477]

By Anne Beston

New Zealand's chances of being hit by a tropical cyclone on the scale of cyclone Bola or the Wahine storm are higher than normal this season, Metservice says.

Meteorologist Steve Ready said that was because the equatorial Pacific Ocean was in a "neutral" phase, neither El Nino or La Nina.

Mr Ready said in past years with similar conditions, New Zealand had experienced some of its most damaging storms including Gisele in April 1968 when the Wahine sank in Wellington Harbour, Bola in 1988 which caused widespread flooding in the Gisborne area and 1996 and 1997 when cyclones Drena and Fergus battered parts of the North Island.

"The risk is much higher than it has been in recent years, this is the season we really have to be more aware than others," he said.

Peak cyclone "season" in the South Pacific is usually January to March although cyclones can form any time from November to May.

Nine tropical cyclones were expected to form this season in the South Pacific near Vanuatu, the Coral Sea or Fiji. Around half could develop to hurricane strength.
    Mother Bear

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Typical!!

I was wondering if cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons hit NZ. Now I know. I had heard the story of the Wahine sinking, but didn't realize it was during a cyclone's storm.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Typical!!

Is it true that majority of the storms/cyclones/hurricanes occur in New Zealand are less damaging than other countries in Americas for example?

I had the impression that they are usually milder.

pulsarblu

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default Typical!!

We hardly ever have any decent storms, except for the east coast of the Nth Island, Gisbourne area now, they seem to be in the target for any roving rain storms.

Otherwise we only can watch them on TV. Bit like wars really, thank goodness for cnn, otherwise life could be really boring.....

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Typical!!

Bummer. i guess NZ will have to make do with earthquakes - my personal favorite ::):
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Coulliette is offline Member

Default Typical!!

Selchie, you should be an earthquake expert, right? :040:

Coulliette

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast