Thread: Forgotten Location

Julian is offline Member

Default Forgotten Location

Help! :109:
    Calling all well travelled contributors. :028:
    I've been trying to fill a number of gaps in my memory :021: with regards to a holiday I had in NZ last year - One of which is the location of the Kauri forest in the Northland area which has apparently survived commercial lumber operations in the past.
    The sign post oposite the coach stop reads something like (MARNINGANINGA) - apologies for the spelling. :119:
    The visit was part of a round trip organised by Fullers operating out of Paihia via Cape Reinga and 90 Mile Beach.
    Any takers. :smiley14:

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi,

Would that be Manginangina at Puketi Forest? :icon_biggrin:

There is a short 15min walk to see the kauris here, and there are other walks in the forest which also have kauris.

::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Julian is offline Member

Thanks for info Glenda.

Have found the location on the map and duly marked the reference for next years return. :023:

Julian.

ps. As you reside in Bay of Islands area, do you happen to know if the ceremonial long boat at the Treaty Site, across the bridge from Paihia, is actually used anymore, if so, for what reason:icon_question:

Hi Julian,

Yes, I believe the boat is launched once a year on Waitangi Day.

Actually, we were in Paihia today and saw a Maori war canoe parked at the wharf. Could not see any reason why, so I presume the local Maori like to practice now and again.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Julian is offline Member

Must have bean quite a sight. :smiley14: Just a shame it wasn't manned and at full throttle. ::):

Thanks again.

Julian is offline Member

Glenda,

I've just learnt from my wife that she is beginning to think that living in or near Auckland might not necessarily be in our best interest and is thinking more along the lines of North Rodney or even Northland.

As a result, my question is, What do people do for employment up in your neck of the woods :icon_question:
    I know you haven't been in NZ long, but any info would be grateful.

Did very much find your experiences of moving, very interesting and enlightening. ::):

Hi Julian,

I can give my opinion ... :icon_neutral: ::):

The town of Kerikeri where we live is the main service town for the Bay of Islands and is not that big but affluent and expanding. Tourism is big here but you still have to have the schools, shops, industry, services etc. to serve the population. I think there are 11,000 souls within 10km of Kerikeri with 6/7 families moving in per month, even though property is more expensive here. There are a lot of fruit orchards here - citrus, kiwifruit, etc.

Jobs are more forthcoming in Whangarei which has a population of around 67,000. There are the usual range of jobs here ... it is only when you get out of the town you find forestry, farming, mussel farming etc. There is an oil refinery south of Whangarei at Marsden Point.

The Hibiscus Coast/Rodney area - Orewa to Warkworth - is a good place to live as you can still commute to Auckland, although you would probably find it preferable to commute to the North Shore areas of Auckland than across the bridge to the CBD. This area is on the up. There seems to be more cattle in this area ... I lived in Warkworth in the early 1980's and there used to be a rodeo every year; though having said that, there is now a "Sheepworld" just outside the town.

Between Warkworth and Whangarei is the service town of Wellsford (IMO not that memorable a place) and a lot of very nice coastal villages with gorgeous beaches and holiday homes.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Jeez I wish you lived in the areas I wanted to live. Could do withy so much helpful, pratical infomation. :icon_frown:

Hope Sara and/or Ian will be as informative when they resurface.