Thread: School Standards

Julian is offline Member

Default School Standards

Hi,
    Can anybody give me me a true account of NZ State secondary school standards as I have heard comments from more than one source that they are in a state of decline. :icon_question:

I'm trying to way up the pros and cons of putting my 12 year old son through the system compared to private -(Auckland area), if that makes a difference.

Julian.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default School Standards

Think seriously about a school that runs cambridge exams. The domestic system is full of holes and not internationally respected qualifications.

Thats one of the reasons we have lost so many international students.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default School Standards

It is probably going a bit too far to say that NZ secondary education is in a decline ... like most countries there is recognition that considerable improvements can be made.

Most schools do dish out youngsters that go onto college or university to become doctors, engineers, etc. The exception may be the low decile schools which have kids in poorer households and may not have the parental pressure/example higher decile schools have. These schools may also some students influenced by a 'culture' of non-achievement, particularly amongst Maori/pacific islanders.

Generally, NZ schools are about a year behind the UK schools, particularly in Maths and English. I specifically put my 14yo son into a small private school as he was on a fast-track programme in the UK and I worried about him settling here as he is rather sensitve. He was put a year up but is still in the top group.

I thought my 12yo daughter was a bit of a 'fluff' in comparison with her brother (and more interested in making friends etc.) and put her straight into Year 7 in the local state high school with others of her age group. However, she found the work was too easy, and disliked the more informal attitude for lessons, so she joined her brother at the private school and was upped to Year 8. Both are happy.

We have found that the private school my kids go to here has an international assortment of students and more tolerance by other kids to emigrant kids. Not that I am saying emigrant kids get negative treatment at state schools (my daughter found them very friendly) but if you have a child who could easily feel like a 'square peg in a round hole' then he could feel a little lost, though probably only for a month or two.

To confuse the issue, there are some very good state schools in Auckland, some of which are so popular they have strict zoning regulations. It is really going to have to be a case of looking closely at the area you will be working/living for schooling decisions.
    ::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

driver is offline Member

Default School Standards

probably being a bit nosey here, but how much does it cost to send someone to a private school. I have two at grammar doing great and another at secondary here already taking GCSE at 14, they are all very aware about how much qualifications count in life and i don't want them to fall into the island time syndrome.

Julian is offline Member

Default School Standards

Thank's for your comment Glenda.

Things are beginning to get a little clearer in my mind as to which side of the fence I'm on - (as if I really haven't any idea already), anyway;

As my son finished junior school in the private sector here (July 2005), I am loath for any retrospective steps in his academic progress once in NZ.
    So, I guess the pertinent thing to do is to combine a planned tour of Aucklands Universities, for my eldest daughter, with prospective schools for him, in the new year.
    Thanks again

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default School Standards

Quote Originally Posted by driver
    probably being a bit nosey here, but how much does it cost to send someone to a private school. I have two at grammar doing great and another at secondary here already taking GCSE at 14, they are all very aware about how much qualifications count in life and i don't want them to fall into the island time syndrome.
    Hi driver,

'Fraid different private schools have different fee scales. Some in the city centres have really high fees comparable to the best in the UK ... you would probably recognise these children by their strict dress code.

The school my kids go to is a small country one and has fees in the lower range for private schools - $1320 to $1520 per term (four terms a year). On top of that there is extra for stationery, exercise books and school trips.

Tip: When enrolling your kids into any school, always consider putting them a year higher here. OK, they may be mixing with older kids but at least they won't doze off during lessons.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb