Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Permit, tourist

Kara is offline Junior Member

Default Work Permit, tourist

Hello

Firstly I'd like to say how impressed I am with all the help and information given on this Forum, and how friendly everyone is!

My partner and I are coming to NZ as UKers in Jan, we are coming over on tourist visas and we have been led to believe that if we get work permits we can then stay and apply for PR at a later date..... is this correct?

My Partner (28) is a Trainer, HR and Personell. I (36) am a Holistic Therapist, Mental Health Support Worker and have years experience in customer services/ call centre.

We are hoping to go to Christchurch and settle there.

We need to know where the work permit offices are and if the information we have been given is correct.

Thanks for your help and support.

Kara

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Kara,

If you find a suitable job, then yes you can apply for a work permit until you apply for residency.

There is an NZIS office in Christchuch, contact details here:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...Home/Location/

Good luck with your move :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default Thank you Taffy

Hello

Thank you for the information you gave, very useful.

Well just 7 weeks left in our house here in Gloucestershire, then 2 weeks of visiting then Chrimbo Eve we leave!!!!!! So excited!

Anyone in Christchurch or who has information on Christchurch? All info will be good info!

Thanks again

Kara x

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Kara

Myself, hubby and three children came to NZ as visitors 7 weeks ago. Everyone thought we were alittle crazy for risking everything and just moving without residency, but we thought what the heck and did it anyway. It might all go pear-shaped but at least we will know, and we will have a great holiday. :icon_eek:

We toured for the first 4 weeks north and south islands before deciding to settle in Christchurch. We love it here, the children are making friends and everyone has been so helpful. We are renting a house in a lovey suburb of the city, about 25 mins drive into Christchurch. It is fantastic to have so many beautiful things to see and do in short drives from where we live.

My husband has started the job search now i must admit it is a little daunting living on our savings and not really knowing when he will be successful. Alot of employers don't seem to want to get involved with the hassle of work permits etc, but we are trying to remain positive. It's hard as you can't work without permit, but can't get permit without job offer. A bit frustrating but It is still early days yet.

I hope everything goes well with your move and when you arrive give us a yell on the forum and we will get together and have a chat.

good luck :icon_biggrin: Sara

p.s Well done on having the get up and go to do it. As they say in NZ good on ya :icon_wink:

Thank you Sara for your reply. I'm pleased to hear that everything is going well for you, and don't fret I'm sure a job will appear very soon. From what I have read the jobs are out there. We are doing the same as you have done, risking it all! We arrive in NZ in Jan (we leave UK on Xmas Eve, and are going for a few weeks to Sydney before coming over and staring our new adventure), and we've decided to go straight to Christchurch as it seems to appeal to us the most, if it's not the place then we'll move somewhere else, but we are sure it's the place for us :icon_biggrin:
    I thought you get over there, get a tax code/ work permit then go find a job, is that not right?
    I will certainly let you know when we arrive!
    Good luck, and enjoy!
    Kara x

No, you have to have a job offer to get a permit and some employers want to see a permit first :icon_confused: It is a bit confusing and frustrating but someone out there will want us i'm sure. That is our situation anyway, I don't really know your background and circumstances.

Someone on here will put you in the picture or go to immigration site. Although that can be a bit mind blowing at times :icon_eek:

Oh my life just as i was typing the phone rang.... Ian has interview on Wednesday and they know our situation!!!!! Yipee :icon_razz: Fingers crossed everyone.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[quote:9fff303bdf="saraian"]Oh my life just as i was typing the phone rang.... Ian has interview on Wednesday and they know our situation!!!!! Yipee :icon_razz: Fingers crossed everyone.[/quote:9fff303bdf]

[img:9fff303bdf]http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/party/image061.gif[/img:9fff303bdf]

This could be the start of something good. All the best, Ian.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

It's OK Sara, I phoned and put in a good word for Ian. I'm well connected, you know :icon_wink:

Of course, if he doesnt get the job, it was nothing to do with me and you never saw me, right?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks for that Taffy............ I think :icon_neutral:

Could you just ring again and ask for a bit more money, we have a teenager you know! :icon_wink:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast