Thread: Thinking of Emigrating

davidr59 is offline Junior Member

Default Thinking of Emigrating

Hi folks

Recently came across this site and I think it is great.

My wife and I would like to emigrate to NZ but don't know where to begin. I am 46 yrs old and a qualified carpenter/joiner by trade. However, I have been working for the past 19 yrs for the Local Council as a Property Inspector. In addition to my Trade indentures I have an HNC in building services, F.T.C. (Full Technological Certificate), 1st yr ONC in Civil Engineering and a certificate in H & S together with my years of practical experience.

My wife is an Administration Manager in the NHS where she has been employed for 20 yrs.

What do you think our chances are of being accepted for immigration? Is it worth our while pursuing?

We wanted to emigrate to NZ over 10 years ago and the rules were pretty tight then so we applied to Oz instead and were accepted but never made it out there for personal reasons. Our son is currently in NZ on a 12 mths RTW and he rekindled our flame relaying some of his adventures to us.

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

David

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi David,

Suggest maybe you begin by searching through the skills shortages lists to see if either your or your wife?s occupations are mentioned here, as this could well mean extra points for you if they are.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...vepermanently/ (click on the right hand side on Immediate Skills Shortages and then also Long Term Skills Shortages under the heading Toolbox).

Under the same heading you could also try filling in the Points Indicator which will give you some idea of whether you can apply for Expression of Interest (EOI). It?s a start, anyway :icon_biggrin: . Perhaps someone else who's been or is going through the system could add to this.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :006: .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

driver is offline Member

They are desperate for carpenters out there.

Good luck.

davidr59 is offline Junior Member

Many thanks for your prompt replies.

I shall look into this further as suggested.

Regards

David