Thread: Mobile phones

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Mobile phones

For our pending visit to NZ, any ideas on which would be the best way to go regarding mobile phone coverage? We both have mobile phones, one from the UK and one from Qatar. Have I read something about ?hiring? temporary SIM cards from Auckland airport on arrival and then handing them back in on leaving again? Or am I imagining it :icon_eek: ? There was also mention of some phones needing to be ?unlocked? in the country of origin. We wouldn?t want to lash out to buy a card just for a 3-week stay if it?s expensive, but would like to have use of at least one of our phones while we?re wandering around NI. You never know, if we break down, we may need to call out Taffy the Tow Truck or, if we get lost, we might need to say ?Beam us up Taffy?.
    [img:dfc0eb477a]http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/ufo2.gif[/img:dfc0eb477a]
    Any information on taking mobile phones to NZ would be useful really, especially for those immigrating and who need to keep in touch until they get settled in their new home with a land line .[img:dfc0eb477a]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/mob.gif[/img:dfc0eb477a]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Mobile phones

You can hire phones/sims from Auckland airport, yes. Or a Vodafone connection pack will cost $30. Most UK phones work here anyway due to arrangements with Vodafone, but every call you make will be charged at an international rate.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Mobile phones

Having just foraged through our mobile stuff, I find it was our old ***** that was from the UK (truly a relic and weighs a ton!). The ones we?re using now must have both come from Qatar. Do you have any idea how much it costs to hire a mobile from the airport? That sounds the best idea and would save messing around with unlocking ours and chancing that they will work there. I assume the cost of hiring would include a returnable deposit in case you make off with the phone? It would be handy to know, so we can allow for it in calculating how much NZ money we need to bring with us (if we can get any here, that is) to get us started.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.