TheWoodies is offline Junior Member

Default New Medicals

Hi guys,
    I've just has a quote for the new medicals wef 28th November 2005:

X-ray ?60.00
    Medical ?80.00
    Blood tests ?138.00
    Total ?278.00 per adult

This was from Nuffield Hospital Nottingham. How does this compare and what exactly are the immigration service trying to prove? it states in the immigration blurb:

"On 28 November 2005, when the new policy takes effect, the assessment criteria for medicals will change and an acceptable standard of health will be re-defined to mean someone who is:

unlikely to be a danger to public health
    unlikely to impose significant costs or excessive demands on New Zealand?s health or special education services
    able to perform the functions for which they have been granted entry.

We are both in our forties and had various health problems in the past. What criteria do they use to judge "significant"??

BusterBunny (Alison)

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default New Medicals

Hi,

I moved this post here as you'd never get a serious answer in the Coffee House!

Significant health issues are normally ongoing problems that are expensive to treat and/or require regular hospital treatment, and usually any terminal illness.

As examples, self-controlled diabetes usually doesn't pose a problem, but requiring something like kidney dialisis (sp?!) wouldnt be looked upon favourably.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default New Medicals

Don't get too worried, I've had angina for 20 years and a note from my doctor did the trick. Essentially he said that it was not a big deal and that he had hardly seen me except for annual checkups. Now that i am in NZ I find that prescriptions are issued on a three month basis so I get a check every 3 months. I pay for the consultation and my tablets are subsidised just like the UK. You really do have to be foreseen as a drain on the NZ health system to be turned down on health grounds.

moggy is offline God like figure

Default New Medicals

I hope so, I failed due to on the day my blood pressure was high (stress of taking medical only and no history of hbp) the doc now wants a 24 hour blood pressure monitor done before she will pass me and also a glucose tolerance test (anyone know what is involved with that?) which as I already take an insulin sensitising drug seems as complete waste of time as any result will be meaningless.

boorer is offline Member

Default New Medicals

Moggy

What did your doctor "fail" you on the blood pressure for? I do have high bp but am trying to lower it with diet (yes I know.......) Would I in fact be better going for the tablets (was trying to avoid as I was not sure how it would affect decisions by NZ immigration)?????

Anyone else got experience of what tablets/medication IS acceptable???

Want to emigrate - and let's face it, half of high bp is due to stress of living HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: New Medicals

Moggy

What did your doctor "fail" you on the blood pressure for? I do have high bp but am trying to lower it with diet (yes I know.......) Would I in fact be better going for the tablets (was trying to avoid as I was not sure how it would affect decisions by NZ immigration)?????
    from the purpose of passing the test, then yes I think go for the tablets, controlled hbp doesn't seem to be a problem (plus in practice you don't have to tell em about the tablets cos they don't see your records, just what you tell em). I've not failed yet, cos I have to do this 24 hr blood pressure thing, and if that is OK, then my hbp is Ok. tbh, having bought a blod pressure meter (20 quid from argos) I now know that it is alcohol that sends my bp up, and seeing as I usually get worked up about seeing a dr (long story, have had so many bad experiences) then in order to sleep the night before I have a few drinks, which of course puts my bp up, it is not directly an anxiety thing, but now I know, I Know that before I next get my bp done - no alcohol the night before and my bp will be normal.

boorer is offline Member

Default New Medicals

Thanks Moggy

Just for info (as scientist). How can I put this delicately.........depending on ones usual alcohol consumption (and speaking as one who is a dedicated non drinker HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) it can take a tadge longer than 24hrs...... Leave it 72 for safety.....

Not of course impugning you, but could say I am not whiter than white.....

Default Re: New Medicals

Thanks Moggy

Just for info (as scientist). How can I put this delicately.........depending on ones usual alcohol consumption (and speaking as one who is a dedicated non drinker HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) it can take a tadge longer than 24hrs...... Leave it 72 for safety.....

Not of course impugning you, but could say I am not whiter than white.....
    was planning on leaving it a week at least to be on the safe side

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default New Medicals

Alcohol raises BP? Thank goodness I drink some, or I'd probably be flatlining (BP ~105/60). My doc the athlete is jealous of this lazy butt's vitals. ::):
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Default New Medicals

Yes, I wondered why my BP was fine if I took it, I had read about white coat high blood pressure syndrome and assumed it was that, then I did a bit of reading on the net and it mentioned alcohol as a reason for hbp, so with the aid of a trusty ?20 bp meter from argos I tested that theory - any day that I had had anything to drink the night before it was raised slightly, on a sunday if I had been out on the saturday, it was very high. During the week, it gradually went down to well within the normal range - the opposite of what you would expect if it was stress related.
    So I guess time to give it a miss completely, it will do wonders for the diet if nothing else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast