Thread: Does NZ has atmosphere??

bikershaz is offline Member

Default Does NZ has atmosphere??

Hi,

My husband and I are very keen to move to NZ (just playing the waiting game at the moment).

Some people we have spoken to have said that there wasn't much atmosphere in NZ. We visited earlier this year and didn't really notice it to be honest.

I just wondered what everyone else thought as I know there are quite a few of you who are now actually living there.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

'Does NZ have atmosphere?'
    Hmmm. Depends whether Taffy's changed his socks recently or not. [img:bf9cb5ee23]http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/thud.gif[/img:bf9cb5ee23]

Sorry folks. Couldn't resist. Ramadan starts tomorrow so I'm having my last bit of fun before the serious stuff starts. :icon_wink:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Assuming you mean social atmosphere and not a lack of oxygen, I guess it would depend where you went.

In the places we've travelled, different towns/cities have a different vibe about them. Some feel quite sleepy and relaxed, others a little more upbeat, and there theres the likes of Auckland and probably Wellington that will have an active feel about them.

I think if you come from an active, social place where the weekends are all about nightclubbing and the week if for fast paced careers, you would think NZ is lacking in atmosphere. On the other side, if you're like us, you enjoy the feel of NZ as it's slower, much less stressed and just what we want :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

The arts seem to be well regarded in NZ, even in smaller cities. Wellington definitely has a hopping cafe society and theatre scene in the Courtenay District. Many of the smaller towns are indeed sleepy, with not much happening after the sidewalks are rolled up at night.

Rotorua definitely has atmosphere - hydrogen sulfide from the geothermal activity there. It's not horrid, but a few Kiwis smilingly referred to it as Rottenrua [img:5a41647b53]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-019.gif[/img:5a41647b53]. But hot spring-soaking opportunities are great. ... A chemist/pharmacist told us that recently (at that time), a fumarole formed in the garage below someone's new house, making it unlivable.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

I'd have to say there's an atmosphere about the place without a doubt.

And like Taffy said it's different in every place. Paihia in the Far North had a tranquil tropical setting about it. As did Raglan to the west of Hamilton (great surfing/beach spot).

Shoot, it's almost all tranquil. But there's other stuff. Hard to put into words.

Sometimes you can feel it just driving into the city.

[size=6:a9af729e8c](make sure you dial 0900 Psychic first...ok, just kidding on this part)[/size:a9af729e8c]

Blog Entries

All right Carman, what's up with the tiny font at the end? You've done it a time or two before, and it drives me batty to try figuring out what you've written. ...Oh. Maybe that's the goal. Mission accomplished! [img:f463fb5c0a]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-020.gif[/img:f463fb5c0a]
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

[quote:826f271901="selchie"]All right Carman, what's up with the tiny font at the end? You've done it a time or two before, and it drives me batty to try figuring out what you've written. ...Oh. Maybe that's the goal. Mission accomplished! [img:826f271901]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-020.gif[/img:826f271901][/quote:826f271901]

:icon_twisted: Muwhahaha :icon_twisted:

Just copy and paste it somewhere to find the secret "subliminal" message

Blog Entries

No sending in 50 cents and two boxtops for the secret decoder ring?

woowar is offline Junior Member

I can see where your friend is coming from on this one.

New Zealand as a country is undoubtedly small on the world scale, with many kiwis travelling abroad for work and often staying outside the country for some time.

The country and cities dont have a great natural influx of people as do most European cities, meaning atmosphere on a 'European' scale doesnt really exist but New Zealand is much more than that, and that's what I've found having been here for just over 2 months.

The fact that I can walk to work, go off to beautiful beaches at the weekend, and enjoy the gorgeous countryside the country has to offer, far outweighs the lack of a real vibe in the cities.

Needless to say, there are some of the best pubs/bars/restaurants/food in the world here!

I hope this helps and please dont be put off coming- its a once in a lifetime chance and IT IS ALWAYS ABOUT WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!

Tom :)

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Don't forget that despite the simularities between NZ and europe there is a different culture in NZ.

Looking for "atmosphere" may involve refocusing to what the locals do. So there are some great tramping clubs, cycling clubs, and cycling culture (especially in chch) many sports clubs, most crying out for members, and a growing culture of dining out and cafe crawling.

Unfortuantly atmosphere will not be found in the chch malls, unless you like being surounded by teens, but the nonsmoking pubs are suprisingly good, with more mature people being drawn into them because of the clear air.

Mind you, the culture of pub going is in terminal decline compared to the last decade. The rise of cafe and restraunt culture and other options for entertainment seem to have made them into cultural dinosaurs, unless they are university pubs.