Thread: Time for our plans to move to NZ- Help!!!

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Time for our plans to move to NZ- Help!!!

Hi All,
    Well now we are back from our long vacation we want to get serious about moving and working in the area around Queenstown or Dunedin.

We havent enough points as I'm in Sales Management and my wife is a PA for a large multinational company.
    What we want is are jobs to support us with a little income and keep us both occupied.
    I would would like a change from what I'm doing , but the problem is my CV is likely to steer me towards some form of management job.

We have thought about investing in opening our own small company either b&b or leisure business as we are both very sporty and qulaified Scu divers and love hiking and sking.

But, where do we begin?

I suppose we are both looking for an easier relaxed way of life as we are 47/53 years of age but still very active in mind and body.

Are there any suitable companies we could send our cv's off to?
    Or, should I take time out and travel over and look for a job whilst out there?

It would appear opening our own business is paved with hurdles from where I am sat, but I'm aware this site has many helpful and skilled people to advise.

thanks and look forward to some advise and help.

Mark
    :icon_confused:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Macfod,

Have you gone back over the advice already given to you previously, to refresh you memory? Seems like there?s a fair bit of stuff on there, which more or less sums up your options. Maybe the best thing is to go to NZ on spec, as others before you have done, and try to fix up jobs once you?re there. You are lucky that you don?t have a family to worry about, so you are free to do your own thing. If you have an interest in the outdoor life and sports, you should stand a fair chance of getting jobs in the tourist industry or something similar. Queenstown, particularly, is geared to all things sporty, outdoor and touristy. If you can get job offers, then you would need to apply for work permits before you could start, but they shouldn?t be too long coming through. Once you?ve got your foot in the door, you can look around for something else, which might suit you better. It?s often said that potential employers take more notice of someone sitting in front of them, rather than someone who is many thousands of miles away. We have several members here who have either gone, or are about to go, to NZ on the off chance of finding employment, so it?s certainly something to be considering if you have the courage to take that gamble and can?t find another way in.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Here are the links referring back to your previous threads about this.
    http://www.movetonz.org/forum/viewto...amp;highlight=
    http://www.movetonz.org/forum/viewto...ighlight=#6160
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Itchy Feet- but confused

We are wanting to make the move next year, but..
    I have started sending off our cv's to a few companys- without any respeonse as yet.
    But, I guess its best If I go out there and face people one to one to get over that we are serious.
    A concern is if we should apply for any residency or permit for work prior to going out on spec?
    Also, I AM 47 and my wife is 54 next year will that be a problem.
    We are able to buy a property out there and also still have income from a property in England.
    But at this stage I am not so what we should be doing?
    Do we need to obtain medicals or police reports as yet..

I suppose nothing is easy and would appreciate some guidance thanks.

:icon_confused:

Blog Entries

I think it?s a chicken and egg situation, Macfod. If neither of you are on the skills shortages list, then I don?t think you are likely to be granted a work permit before you get to NZ. When you are in NZ and, if you have the chance of a job, they may well tell you that they can?t offer it to you until you have a work permit. But you can?t get a work permit until you have a job offer. Catch 22. If, however, you can find a potential employer who will actually offer you a job on the condition you get a work permit, then that should be OK.

I don?t think your ages matter at this stage, as the cut off point is 56, I think. Best (possibly only) option sounds like maybe you could just pack up and go and take the chance of finding jobs when you get there. I don?t know if timing season-wise makes any difference, as there will be tourists in the Queenstown area both in the summer and winter.

Anyone else got any suggestions?
    Mother Bear

Default more work to be done

yes..its looks possibel that I may go out first and find a job first just to supplement our living expenses.
    I have started to send our cv's to various recruitment agencies as a test and guage the situation, but as you mention whilst we are over here with its unlikely any one will take a chance on offering us work.
    But, should we arrange for a medical or police report at this stage?
    Thanks

Mark :icon_rolleyes:

Blog Entries

It says, if you are working in NZ for more than 6 months, you may have to provide a completed Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate (1096) to show you?ve been screened for tuberculosis. If you are working in NZ for more than 2 years, you will need to provide a completed Medical and X-ray Certificate (NZIS 1007). Additionally, you will have to provide a police certificate less than 6 months old from your country of citizenship and from any other country in which you have lived for 5 or more years since reaching the age of 17 years. [b:aef3d82863]BUT[/b:aef3d82863], this information relates to those applying for Work Permits or Visas from outside NZ. I don?t know how you?d stand with just going on spec. If you were able to apply for them you would have to be careful that they didn't expire before you had a chance to use them. It would probably be cheaper and easier to do your medicals in NZ anyway.

Someone else may be able to advise you better than me as to whether it would be better to wait until you get a job offer.
    Mother Bear

Default thanks

Ok I will bear that in mind.
    And meantime we look forward to visiting Oman to dive the Mussadan area over xmas.
    thanks again :icon_biggrin:

Blog Entries

Oh, good choice! Hope you enjoy it. We haven't been to that part of Oman yet, as it's split up from the rest of the country. There is a lot of great diving around the coastal areas here.
    Mother Bear

yes, both my wifes kids work in Dubai and Abu Dhabi and we dive Khorfakan last year and enjoyed it.

I suppose NZ is not that far from them still!