Thread: We need some reasurance

jamasc is offline Junior Member

Default We need some reasurance

I read the forum often and it has been a great inspiration to me.

We recieved our PR 4 weeks ago :icon_lol: :icon and have booked flights for 24th October. :icon_razz:

Upto now every thing has gone very smoothly, perhaps too smoothly and we are now wondering what might go wrong :icon_question:

I recieved a job offer in April and sent in our EOI in May, our house sold within 5 weeks cash buyer :031: ( i know, jammy $$%%&&*s) :icon_mrgreen:

Every thing has gone a long smoothly and we are now nearly there and have hit panic mode.

our fears are

will be be able to manage on one wage.

how easy will it be for my partner to find work. ( factory manager and care worker with lots of skill but minimal on paper)

we are moving to a small town and there seems to be minimal rental accomodation so I am unsure when we will find some where perminant to live. ( dont want to be in motels for too long)

will our 12 year old settle in school and make friends.

we dont have rose tinted glasses and yes we are moving for a slower and calmer pace of life, more out doors, healthier living, and time together, but we are realistic in that we will not get this straigt away and that the first months will be a challange.

I know I am rambling, what i am really wanting is for some one to say YES GO FOR IT. I presume its normal to have anxieties , its just we have wanted this for so long and have been so excited, I did not expect to be worried!

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Where are you going?
    Don;t worry, it will be fine.
    If you want to mail me at adyperry@woosh.co.nz I'll happily go through some stuff more confidentialy etc.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Don?t go looking for problems, Jamasc, but I know just what you mean about waiting for something to go wrong. As they say: ?You?ve started, so you might as well finish?. It?s what you want so go for it, but make sure you have Plan B in place so that, if things don?t turn out the way you want, you can always backtrack. Look on your worries as pre-wedding nerves where we often fret ?Am I doing the right thing?? It?s the same with all major decisions in life and would be a bit reckless if we all plunged headfirst into new ventures without having a few qualms at the outset. You have the right attitude in realising things won?t be easy to begin with, but that is the same wherever you go. These things take time but, if you?ve done your homework properly, you should have some idea of what you will be facing. As for your 12 year old in school, all I have heard is just how happy the young people are while they?re in school in NZ. There is a different attitude in teaching there, where children are allowed to grow up at their own pace and have more time to be themselves. Have you had any feedback from your prospective employer regarding accommodation in the area and isn?t there someone you can discuss your options with? Where is it you are heading?

You?ve invested a lot of money in this, so don?t you think it would be a good idea to see it through now? Having PR before you go gives you a head start, as you know that, if you want to, you can stay. Sad for those people who go there, love it, but live in fear that they may have to leave again if they can?t get PR. Let?s face it, from what you are saying, there is no real reason for not going apart from your own understandable fears. And that?s all they are ? fears.

Good luck with it all and KEEP IN TOUCH so we know how things are going for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi Jamasc,

I can entirely understand your fears - it only seems like yesterday I was having the same fears myself. Over the next few weeks, you will no doubt have many occasions where you ask yourself whether you are doing the right thing, not least when you are waiting at the airport for your plane to NZ!

You are in the very fortunate position of a) everything having gone very smoothly up until now and b) having the security of PR before you get here. Adopt the Kiwi attitude from now on and take it as it comes!

will be be able to manage on one wage. NO REASON WHY YOU SHOULDN'T - WE HAVE UP UNTIL NOW! (ARE YOU COMING OVER WITH ANY MONEY BEHIND YOU?)

how easy will it be for my partner to find work. ( factory manager and care worker with lots of skill but minimal on paper) AS EASY AS IT IS FOR ME - I HAVE NO SKILLS ON PAPER BUT I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW NEXT WEEK FOR A LOCAL SHOP!

we are moving to a small town and there seems to be minimal rental accomodation so I am unsure when we will find some where perminant to live. ( dont want to be in motels for too long) RENTAL HOUSES AND HOUSES FOR SALE ARE ALWAYS COMING UP, AND/OR THINK ABOUT LOOKING IN DIFFERENT AREAS CLOSE TO WHERE YOU WANT TO SETTLE.

will our 12 year old settle in school and make friends. OUR DAUGHTER IS 5 AND SETTLED FINE, BUT I APPRECIATE IT MAY BE A DIFFERENT CASE FOR AN OLDER CHILD. I CAN ONLY TELL YOU THAT ANY FRIENDS WE HAVE WITH CHILDREN OF THAT AGE HAVE BEEN FINE. KIDS OF ALL AGES ARE VERY DIFFERENT TO KIDS IN THE UK, MUCH MORE RESPECTABLE AND POLITE AND IN MANY CASES, ARE WELL USED TO 'FOREIGNERS' COMING IN. (IS YOUR SON/DAUGHTER KEEN ON MOVING TO NZ AND PREPARED TO TRY AND FIT IN?)

Also, if your first few months are challenging, don't give up and go back, give it a reasonable length of time before you really decide it isn't for you, say a year or so, and remember there may be things you don't like about NZ compared to the UK. Don't be materialistic - or if you are, keep it to yourself, Kiwis don't like 'tall poppies'!

So, as requested, YES GO FOR IT! You are heading off on the adventure of a lifetime - what have you got to be worried about?? :icon_wink:

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Re: We need some reasurance

[quote:0b56172d8c="jamasc"]Upto now every thing has gone very smoothly, perhaps too smoothly and we are now wondering what might go wrong [/quote:0b56172d8c]
    Perhaps a little thanks to the "immigration faeries" or whomever could help allay your worries. Congrats on things going so smoothly to date. Sorry, I'm not much help with your practical questions, but I'm still in the process myself.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

jamasc is offline Junior Member

Thanks for everyones messages of support. I was just having a last minute panic sure more will come.

We agree we would rather regret trying this than regret not having a go.

I know we are in a good position and I am sure in 6 months time I will be thinking what were you worried about.

woowar is offline Junior Member

we have been here now for 2 months and are enjoying ourselves more and more each day. it's takes a while to adjust, but job prospects are great out here (it took me all of 2 weeks!) and as long as you can make the most of the beautiful countryside/beaches/food/lifestyle then you will be in for a great ride. sit back and enjoy :)

stevejan is offline Member

jamasc
    Hi, this is Jan, my husband Steve wanted to know if it was me who wrote your initial posting because it sounded like me. We have just received our ITA papers and it looks like Steve will have a job, so we are very excited.
    The company who are interviewing Steve are in a small town called Levin on the west coast and they have been very good and given us lots of information on the area and told us they will help us get rented accommodation. Maybe you should approach your future employers and ask for their help, I'm sure they would if you ask. We have two sons aged 8 and 10 and you do worry about them but I think adults worry a lot more than children anyway, we try and talk about all the positive things to them, things we know they are going to like out in NZ.
    Good luck to you.
    Jan