Thread: Parking in Auckland

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Parking in Auckland

Here's one for you Aucklanders or anyone else who's visited. Just how difficult is it to park in Auckland if one wants to go there to see the sights etc.? I've heard that it is bad, so would it be better to drive to Auckland, park up, then use the hop-on hop-off Explorer Bus to get around the various places? If so, what would be the best place to park in to get the bus?

[img:b9a86fad2b]http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/autobus.gif[/img:b9a86fad2b]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hatter5 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Parking

http://www.wises.co.nz/map/default.a...mp;zoomin=true

Try this link Mother Bear. Like all city centres there is a lot of parking meters and NCP style car parks. We were in Auckland over Christmas and the place was deserted and had no trouble parking (except on Christamas Eve as most of the shops were open till 20:00 - surprising for a country that's 20 years behind the UK :icon_eek:)

Blog Entries

Thank you Hatter5, that will be very useful. I mentioned the Explorer Bus as it does the rounds of a lot of the interesting sights and thought, maybe, it would be easier to use that to get around rather than having to fight for (and no doubt pay for) lots of parking spots as we make our way around.
    Mother Bear

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

There's 2 buses that can get you around Auckland

The "Red" free bus - pretty much goes down Queen Street and 1 block out (like the Uni, Sky Tower, etc).

Then there's the "Link" ($1.30) - Does an outer loop (still comes next to the sky tower though) and there is free parking where you can get on the Link. Musuem/Domain(Park), AUT, K Road, Ponsonby, Victoria Park, Sky Tower, and Britomart.

One good place to park (and I've done this for work) is Ponsonby. Just park on one of the side streets from Ponsonby Ave. It's the first suburb SW of the city centre.

Parnell could be worth a shot, but I'm not sure how much free parking is around. It's to the first suburb to the East of the centre.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.stagecoach.co.nz/thelink/index.html

The Link Bus

See Auckland?s top spots for only $1.30.

Whether you're a daily commuter, a student or a lunchtime shopper, The Link Bus service is the most convenient way to move around the central city.

It travels both clockwise and anti-clockwise at the same time in a loop that includes QEII Square, Railway Station, Parnell, Newmarket, Karangahape Road, Ponsonby and Queen Street.

And because The Link Bus service has a 10 minute frequency between 6am and 7pm Monday to Friday, and Saturday 7am-6pm, and 15 minute frequency in the evenings and at other times on the weekends, there?s no need to worry about a timetable. Plus you'll never miss the bus. There's always another one just around the corner.

Blog Entries

Thank you, James, that's very helpful. Something worth looking into.

[quote:6e95836663="jamesthecarman"]It travels both clockwise and anti-clockwise at the same time[/quote:6e95836663]
    Novel. That must be worth seeing. Doesn't know whether it's coming or going? :icon_wink:
    Mother Bear

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Yeah, james is spot on.
    The Link is the best bet as it goes pretty much anywhere you would want to go. Although bear in mind that you can walk the enitre Link route in about 2 -2 1/2 hours.

If you go to:
    www.maxx.co.nz
    That is the public transport site for the city and its pretty good, when its working.

Parking in downtown is tricky, expensive and you will get a ticket if you are more thatn a few minutes late, although normally only $12.

Anywhere else, is pretty easy, but I only use the car for going to the supermarket and the Knights games on the North Shore. I work in Midtown, Greenlane and Takapuna and the buses are fine. The trains are a different story though....