Thread: I would like to come to NZ

JCS
    JCS is offline Junior Member

Default I would like to come to NZ

Hello all, this is my first post but what a great site!! I'm 33, a Canadian and a working helicopter pilot in northern canada. I'm madly, nuts in love with a Kiwi girl and we've been together for about a year and a half now. She has had to go back to NZ to work as her holiday visa ran out and we're working on the work visa thing here. I just visited her last week and I could move to NZ in a heart beat!! So what do I do? I have been looking at the immigration NZ site and if I can include my girlfriend as a "partner" then no problem, 120 points. But I'm not sure about that? Can I still get a working holiday visa and come down for the winter (DEC-March ) and check the place out more? I don't really care to get work as a pilot, carpentry or boatbuilding would be fine. I don't have any trade tickets for those skills, but I could go to a Kiwi college and get one if I was allowed. Anyone got any direction or ideas for me? Thanks

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

If your girlfriend is a born and bred kiwi, then she can sponsor you as her partner. If you have been living together for longer that 12 months, then you are considered as being in a genuine and stable relationship. Just apply for a partners visa, either work or residency.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

JCS
    JCS is offline Junior Member

Ok, problem is that we have not lived together for 12 months straight, which seems to qualify you as a "couple". Canada's immigration policy is very stickey on this fact, not sure how the Kiwis' look at it. She is a pure Kiwi so maybe she can just say " Ya, he's mine" and then sponsor me. I would love to just go down there for a few months and look around again and pick up some work, to see if I really would like to move there.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You're just over the age limit for a working holiday visa, so you're pretty restricted to a visitors permit, which I believe is initially 3 months for Canadians, extendible to 6 months. Maybe within that time you will make it to the 12 months :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.