Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now in Auckland - Feel free to ask us anything!

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Default Now in Auckland - Feel free to ask us anything!

Hey guys!

Well we've finally got here! :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Been here about 3 weeks, and settled in Central Auckland.

My wife is working as a primary school teacher, and I'm hopefully starting work in the next week, after starting completely from scratch looking when I got here.

So, if you have any questions about Auckland, and the practicalities of moving here, give me a shout. Theres so much we've learnt!

Here's one for a start - 2 people have told me here (both doctors) that NZ immigration are changing the medical requirements after November 5th, and become much much more thorough. Haven't verified this yet though.

Best Regards to you all.

Ady & Vicki

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Well done for overcoming all the NZIS hurdles and making it to Auckland. I don't think there are too many of us who are in line to make the move to NZ just at the moment, but we would certainly be happy to hear all your news as you settle in. Any tips and advice or points of interest would be welcome. Wishing you all the best in your new life in NZ.
    [quote:55121f2e9f]Here's one for a start - 2 people have told me here (both doctors) that NZ immigration are changing the medical requirements after November 5th, and become much much more thorough. Haven't verified this yet though. [/quote:55121f2e9f]
    Ho hum, I might as well hand my body over to medical science and have done with it. They'd have a ball.[img:55121f2e9f]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/hah.gif[/img:55121f2e9f]
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

jamasc is offline Junior Member

Congratulations on getting to NZ and settling so quickly.

We are due to fly at the end of October I will be starting work as a nurse in South Canturbury.

We had our medicals in August and the panel doctor told us that the medical requirements will be changing.

You say you are hoping to start work next week and are starting from scratch. How have you gone about finding work, looking on the employment webn sites there seems to be plenty of skilled / semi skilled work. My BH can put his hands to most things and has a wealth of experience but has nothing "on paper". How long do you realistically think it will take for him to find a job ( he's happy to do any thing if it helps us to stay in NZ)

nattydread is offline God like figure

what kind of work are you after Ady?

Glad you made it safe and well?

How has it been for you so far?
    (Apart from idiots stealing aircraft..)

Have you taken any kids with you?
    Who did you fly with?

Where were u based in old blighty? Whats Auckland like compared to that?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

And, for my next question..... :icon_biggrin:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Well, to reply to the questions so far!

I'm looking for something possibly in retail management, as thats my background. There seems to be plenty of jobs available. Money seems to be ITRO $40-45K with some extras. I don't have any proper qualifications, and I've not really found it a problem. Done a few interviews at recruitment places and its gone from there. Having said that, I am talking about Greater Auckland, and you've got nearly a third of the entire population there. In S. Canterbury, I would just hit the papers when you get there - but I wouldn;t worry about it.

How has it been for you so far?
    We've really enjoyed it. We've really ot had too much time to do stuff, as Vicki started work 2 days after arriving, and I've been flat and car hunting, and sorting all that side out. But, yeah, it's great. Vicki has so much more time free now than in the UK, and we've been to our first NPC game!

Have you taken any kids with you?
    No kids with us. So thats been easy for us!

Who did you fly with?
    Malaysian. Used them loads in the past. Stopped in KL for 3 days on the way, and flights were about #390 each - one ways.

Where were u based in old blighty? Whats Auckland like compared to that?
    We were based in Lincolnshire, but I worked in Grimsby. There is NO comparison. Grimsby is a toilet, lot of drug problems, lot of crime. Remember that "10 Worst Places in the UK" program that Hull won? Well Grimsby has all the same problems, if not worse, is more isolated, has more crime and much less to do. So I'm glad we're out! Love Auckland!

Keep 'em coming!

bikershaz is offline Member

Default Thanks Ady

Hi Ady,
    We are in process of moving to central Auckland as well - had medicals and awaiting temporary residence. We visited Auckland in June and liked it.
    At moment we live in Valencia - Spain and have a dog only.

I assume you're renting - can i be cheeky and ask you how much you are paying in rent and what area you are living in ? We have an a-z of inner and outer Auckland.
    How does your wife commute to work (bus/car/bike)?

:icon_biggrin:

Will have some more questions later on !!
    cheers for your input - hope we could meet up if/when we arrive.

Vince (hubby of bikershaz)

Ady
    Ady is offline Member

Hi

No probs asking at all!

Well we have just moved into a 2 bed flat just off Quay Street. The building is very nice and about 5 years old, the flat is pretty big by City standards at about 100 sqm. It also has secure parking, and is furnished. We got it for $420 per week, but we have seen some in the same building for up to $575 per week.

For us, its great and I think we've been lucky. The bus stops and the Britomart is about 1 minutes walk, and queen street the same.

2 things spring to mind. 1 is that there was a no pets thing on every apartment we looked at. The other thing is that you would not believe what the sizes of a lot of the apartments are. We are seriously talking 35-40 sqm, (V V Tiny) and the guys want $400 per week! The vast majority are all Asian owned and they are out for every penny they can get. Be prepared to search!

As for commuting, anywhere in the city centre is easily walkable. I can walk to Parnell & Newmarket in about 20-25 minutes, K'Road in about 20 minutes and Ponsonby in about 25 minutes. But all those places are on the Link bus from the Britomart.

Vicki gets the train out to Henderson (right through Bro'Town :icon_biggrin: ) and you can get trains regularly to Waitakere (West) and Pukehoe (South), they leave the Britomart mostly on time, but coming back is an absolute lottery. We've had waits of 75 minutes at a station which should have had a train every 30 minutes.

Just bought a car as we've got parking with the flat. If you haven't, don't buy a car! Parking is impossible unless you want to pay $70-100 per week. So Vicki will be driving, and out to Henderson takes about 25 mins at about 7.30am out and the same at about 4.30pm back into town.

Best of luck with the move, and stay in touch.

Ady

jento is offline Junior Member

Hi Ady
    Congratulations on having done the deed! We are planning to make the move next August after our wedding in sunny Glasgow - would love to go sooner, but weddings are expensive enough - without flights etc! I am a buyer and would be interested in your experience of the retail market in Auckland - I know they need buyers - it is part of the creative industries future growth area (I hope!) Which agencies have you approached so far? I've been in touch with rag trade - if that's any help?
    Also - how did you find your apartment and did you stay in hotels until getting sorted out?
    Thanks for the info!
    Jento

stan is offline Junior Member

Hi Ady

My wife and I have been in Auckland for about six weeks now. We are living in the mt. Albert area. I'm working as a sparky and wife is office admin. Give us a shout if you fancy meeting up for a beer.

Stan :icon_biggrin:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast