Thread: Timeline - What first?

Phantasm is offline Junior Member

Default Timeline - What first?

Well, I'm back here again. It looks like the light at the end of the tunnel on my college degree is getting closer. Relatively. I've got another 2 1/2 years, and I might be able to do it in 2, if the research project goes right.

So, here's my question:
    What's the protocol and timeline that would be appropriate for my family?
    Here's our stats:
    Me and my husband, and our 3 younger kids (ages 14, 11, and 5 now) plan to move to the South Island in 3 years. My oldest will be in college either in the US or NZ or Spain. My husband is a carpenter, and is starting a business in a fuel enhancer that he'll transport to NZ. I'll be getting a degree in Chemistry; I'm assuming that I can get a job fairly easily.

Do we take a long vacation to scope it out, and do job interviews at the same time? What if I get a job offer - doesn't it take several months for the immigration papers to go through? How does that work? What's the usual way to go about it? I know that at least my husband and I will go for a visit (and hopefully the kids too, but that gets pricey!).

I just don't know what to do first!

Thanks,

- Phantasm

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Timeline - What first?

Well, it boils down to finances really. Coming here and looking for jobs is a great way to do things as it also gives you an idea of the area you will live in to correspond with the work, but only if you can afford to live without working for a few months to get set up.

Getting a work permit takes up to 60 days maximum, so there can be a delay before starting work once you've found it. I think though, that employers are much more likely to wait for someone who is on their doorstep, than thousands of miles away, but some people are lucky enough to find employers before they leave the house!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.