Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Money

How much money do you think is needed to avoid panic/financial disaster when moving to NZ?

I know that this will depend on individual circumstances; when I go I'll have just finished uni, will have no debts, no house. If I go WITHOUT a job offer how much do you think I'll need to not have to worry about getting a job straight away and be able to pay renting/living expenses?

tottefan.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Money

Blimey, tough question!

Depends what you want to do.. obvioulsy renting, but what about buying furniture, buying a car, eating, bills etc etc?

You'd need anything from NZ $10-50k to set up and not have to work for a while!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

wolfgang4495 is offline Junior Member

Default Money

Hi ,

I thought for myself , when I move to NZ I shouldn't need more than 1,2k a month . O k I try to get a job as soon as possible .My occupation is on the list . I 'll take a MTB with me to travel short distance. If you take a look in Backpackers accommondation and calculate it you maye need 600 - 700 a month , some food 400 and others ....... It depends on each lifestyle.
    Am I right or wrong ?

wolfgang

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Money

Sure, for living month to month then that would be a good figure, the figures I quoted above are basically for setting up house from scratch and living for a while. Of course, if you are going to live the backpacker life for a while, you dont need that kind of money as you dont need furniture, and you could always hire a cheap car for a month or 2!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default Money

I should have about ?6,000-?8,000 to take with me.

If I live frugally, do you think this will be enough?

tottefan.

pleccy2000 is offline Member

Default Money

?6k-?8k will be enough, but it's a question of when will it run out?

Default Money

[quote:7c926db4ab]?6k-?8k will be enough, but it's a question of when will it run out?[/quote:7c926db4ab]

I was hoping/wondering whether it would last for 3 or 4 months without a job.

tottefan.

pleccy2000 is offline Member

Default Money

i recon thats fine

Default Money

I guess it's impossible to generalise since circumstances are so different.

Let me put it this way though - if you were 25, had just graduated from uni and had no student debts and ?5,000-8,000 in the bank, would you have the courage to make the move to NZ? A difficult question I know, and you can be totally honest with your answer. :icon_biggrin:

tottefan.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Money

I?m sure that many young people have picked up a backpack and flown down to NZ with a bit of cash to hand and a uni degree, purely on the off-chance that they could find a job once there. It?s a big gamble but a lot of young people who don?t have other ties i.e. wife, kids, mortgage and house full of furniture, have done it in the spirit of adventure. It depends on whether you are this type of devil-may-care person or whether you need to have everything sorted out before your feet leave the ground. Only you know if you would be prepared to take such a risk, but I?m sure it can be done.

If you entered NZ on a visitor?s visa you would only have a specific time in which to find employment and gain a work permit to allow you to stay long enough to work towards your PR. I believe you must get a work permit before you can actually start work, so there will be a delay before the wages begin to trickle in anyway. That points to your needing to look for work immediately so that the financial loss isn?t too great and you can hang on to at least some of your savings. The success of such a mission would also depend on whether you are prepared to accept a different lifestyle initially, like staying in cheaper backpackers? places or sharing accommodation with others to keep down costs. That would be a great way to make friends with like-minded people. You imply that you know what living frugally means, so you shouldn?t be tempted into living a high old life. It?s things like this that will determine how far your money stretches. Hopefully, prospective employers would find you more attractive, as you would already be in the country. It?s more difficult to find work when you are thousands of miles away. At least you would be starting off on the best footing with no debts behind you, so any money you have will be yours to do with as you please and you would only have yourself to worry about. If you are considering doing that sort of thing, that would be the time to do it.

As you say, it?s difficult to generalise as everyone is different but, if you have the courage, determination and common sense to make it work, there?s no reason why you can?t give it a go. Sounds like a plan to me!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast