Thread: Phew ... got our NZ driving licences!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Phew ... got our NZ driving licences!

:041:
    For those who don't know - if you have a current licence from most countries, you just take a theory test in NZ.

Well, we swotted up on the Highway Code, made our appointment and went along for the test. As well as filling in the application form, we had to take along a means of ID (driving licence or passport) and a utility bill or bank statement with our NZ address on.

First we took the eye test - surprisingly, we did not have to go outside and read a car number plate, we just looked into this contraption, read the letters and indicate on which side these flashing lights were coming from. Then you give a signature sample for the licence and after that they took the photo.

We were allowed 30mins to answer 35 questions of which 32 had to be correct to pass. The questions were quite easy (if you have read the Highway Code) but there are some which can seem tricky when you are under some pressure. You just scratch the box to the answer you think is correct.

We passed, got our temporary driving licences, the real thing to come in the post in a couple of weeks' time.

Would most definitely recommend doing this sooner than later in NZ as it really is surprising how many differences there are to driving in the UK. Little differences, I know, but I certainly feel more confident driving here now.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

cat_y2kn3 is offline Junior Member

wow, really that easy, whats the age limit to drive in nz by the way?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Glenda (and hubby!)

The age for driving is 15 at the moment, but there is talk of changing it. (and has been for some years I understand!).

There are a few very subtle differences to get used to, but on the whole I find driving in NZ a lot easier than the UK, with wider roads, good signposting and a fairly relaxed pace of driving (except the rush hours, of course!)

Now we have PR, we will be taking our driving tests as well. I'll probably find it a little harder as I was a driving instructor in the UK, so UK road rules are well and truely burnt in! I'll be sat there arguing with the test :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

cat_y2kn3 is offline Junior Member

wow!!! im 15 in lyk ermmm 30 or 31 days in septemeber hmmmmm 30 or 29 days :D i could drive !!! trust i wouldnt be good on the road wanna see me on go karts :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif ooo and well dun !!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Well done to you both, Glenda! :023: Good bit of information there as well. It's always useful to know how things work in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

rahul is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Phew ... got our NZ driving licences!

[quote:16d438f6f3="Glenda"]:041:
    For those who don't know - if you have a current licence from most countries, you just take a theory test in NZ.
    :icon_biggrin:[/quote:16d438f6f3]

Hey I hold a valid intl license. Does that help?
    My dom license is from Indonesia cos thats where I've spent the last 4 years, but i'm not so confident about that one though :-(