Thread: Nervous beginners!!

stevejan is offline Member

Default Nervous beginners!!

Just completed our EOI (135 points) not yet submitted as we are going to an imigration fair in Manchester in October and hope to get some direction. Want hubby to have a job before we go (if accepted) so are searching all the job agencies at the moment, hope to gain direction on this at the fair. We have two boys aged 8 and 10 and are hoping to give them a better life and future - are we doing the right thing? :icon_rolleyes:

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi nervous beginners, :icon_wink:

Everyone is different with different circumstances and NZ is not for everybody, though I believe most like it. :icon_biggrin: For your children I would say you probably are doing the right thing. At 8 and 10 they should easily settle down. My four kids love it here.
    :icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

As Glenda said, NZ isnt for everyone, but if you have the will to work at changing your life, because it is hard work to uplift and move, then NZ is certainly an excellent choice :icon_wink:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks Glenda and Taffy for your comments, this is a great site being able to communicate with people who are going through the same process and who have succeeded. We have thought about emigrating for a few years now and after visiting Canada looked into going there. But then some friends went to NZ and we started looking at what it had to offer it seems great, especially for the outdoor activities for the boys and the weather is better. Glenda I found this forum after reading your story on moving to NZ, great to read about everyday joys and problems. We'll keep reading and writing on the site as we progress through our application.
    Jan

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If I may elaborate a little on this, albeit this is from research findings only and, unfortunately, not from personal experience, yet. I?m sure other members could add to this or correct me if I?m wrong.

The cost of living in NZ can seem OK if you have pounds sterling to spend, but it?s a different matter if you are living on a NZ wage, which can be a lot lower compared to UK rates. Your NZ salary might not go as far in NZ as your UK salary went in the UK because of this. Most people, however, don?t immigrate to NZ to get rich, they go for a completely different type of life. The country is geared to outdoor living with great beaches, walks and plenty of other fresh air pursuits. The air is cleaner (away from the cities), the countryside is cleaner, the weather better and the people are friendlier on the whole. People in the UK may think they need to live only to acquire material possessions but, in NZ, the idea is that you live to experience life itself. Perhaps it could be likened to the Grim Reaper coming to take you ?upstairs? when your time is up. Someone in the UK might look around him and say ?Hmmm, haven?t I got a lot of stuff?? whereas someone in NZ might say ?Wow, I had a great time!? It just depends what you want in life ? UK for collecting stuff and NZ for getting out and living your life. It is important to prepare for a new life in NZ by completely rethinking your current situation. Your life will not be the same there as in the UK and, whether it will be much better or much worse, will be up to you and how well you do that preparation. It?s all down to expectations, expect too much financially and you will be disappointed, expect more in the line of freedom, peace of mind and getting stuck in there and getting on with it and ?you?ll be right?, as they say.

As for kids and schools, it appears that many of the schools run a year or two behind UK schools but, from what I have gleaned, kids are allowed to be kids and aren?t pushed beyond their limits. They grow up naturally rather than being forced into becoming miniature adults before their time. The upshot of this is that they really enjoy school and blend in quickly. In the end they appear to catch up with their education somehow and come out of it as more rounded, confident and agreeable personalities. And think of what all that fresh air will be doing to them. :026:
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Very well put, Mother Bear. ::):

We are lucky that we have a little money behind us to start our life here, but even that will eventually be taken up in buying a property. Those with little capital will struggle as emigrating can be expensive, mortgage rates higher, and wages are generally lower compared with the UK. I would put cost of living as the same - some things cheaper, others more expensive.

I don't think anyone really knows just how important their UK lifestyle is to them until they don't have it. Some may think they are not materialistic but find they acutely miss the 'comfort' of shopping at their favourite UK shops, the predictability and quality of UK television, the taste of Bisto granules, sausages and Cadbury's chocolate (for example). Those who enjoy football will find it difficult being away from the 'action'. Others will be shocked to find they feel strange living in a different country - like a square peg in a round hole. The pull of family and 'tribe' (it is amazing how patriotic you can be to your area after leaving it) can also have an effect.

My kids like school but I would certainly advise anyone to consider putting their child (especially a bright one) a year higher than they would be in the UK. My son was in year 8 in the UK when we left in June, he is now three quarters through year 9. My daughter (23 months younger) was in year 7 in the UK and designated year 7 here. After a month of frustration for her as the work was too easy, I have now put her into year 8. It is however a little uncomfortable trying to persuade the teachers here, without insulting the NZ education system, that your child is ahead of NZ kids their age.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Default Work Opportunities

Could anyone tell us where the manufacturing/industrial areas are?
    Steve is in Operations/maintenance management and we are wondering where he will be more likely to find work.
    Also I (Jan) am a Teaching Assistant here in Cheshire. Will my NVQ Childcare and Education qualifications get me a job in NZ schools? ::):
    Is it realistic to expect Steve to get a job before going out there.