Thread: where do i start?

bruce is offline Junior Member

Default where do i start?

Hi i am new to this but i am thinking about moving to NZ next year.I am a motor mechanic and my wife is a nurse ,we have 2 kids . Would like to move to Hamilton area.Any advice would be grateful.
    Thanks.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the forum :icon_biggrin:

We live in Hamilton, so we can give you some good advice on the place, so just let us know what you want to know!

Mechanics jobs are plentiful around Hamilton, and there is a large hospital in the city, so nurse jobs covered for your wife too :icon_cool:

Ask away!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hi,
    Have lots of questions that i would like to ask but will start with the easy ones first,what are the weather and culture changes like,is there a big difference in the cost and standard of living,and is the education standard good.
    We are booked up to come to NZ on holiday nexy March,so we will be using this as a fact finding mission as well.
    Thanks.
    Bruce.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Well, compared to Scotland, it will probably be a tropical paradise!

Culturally it is very different in some respects, but the same in others. It's quite hard to describe and is something that needs to be experienced to understand.

Cost / Standard of living? Well this has been debated many times over. Costs of living are cheaper when compared to the UK, but some people find it too much when they get here. As for standard of living, well that depends what you want from it. NZ is most certainly an 'enjoy being here' rather than 'enjoy what you can get by being here' kind of place. That suits us to a tee but to some people it's their idea of hell!

Education in generally very good, but like any country can vary from school to school. Always ask the locals what the schools are like, they will generally be very honest about them!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Bruce,

If it's Hamilton you want information on, here's a link which may give you some idea of the area.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?...ktext=Hamilton

Towards the bottom of the page there are other Hamilton-related links to click on for weather etc.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

[color=blue:78b970da23]Another little bit about Hamilton's weather[/color:78b970da23]

Hamilton, Taupo, Rotorua

As this region is sheltered by high country to the south and east, it has less wind than many other parts of New Zealand. Being inland, a wide range of temperature is experienced. Warm, dry and settled weather predominates during summer. Typical summer daytime maximum air temperatures range from 21?C to 26?C, rarely exceeding 30?C. Winters are cool and this is normally the most unsettled time of the year. Typical winter daytime maximum air temperatures range from 10?C to 14?C. Frosts occur in clear, calm conditions in winter. Sunshine hours average 2000 to 2100 in most places. Southwesterlies prevail. Lake breezes often occur in Taupo and Rotorua on warm summer days. Rainfall averages from roughly 70mm - 125 mm throughout the year with the heaviest falls during the winter.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for your replys,im sorry that its taken me so long to reply but my pc crashed and had to go for major repair but i am now back on line. I will be back on in the near future to ask further questinns.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome back Bruce ::): Glad your pc is sorted out now!

Have a read of some of what's gone on since you've been away, then ask anything you need to. As you'll see, I'm in Hamilton too (fortunately, as I'm Taffy's other half!), so we may be able to help you out with some info.

jamasc is offline Junior Member

Hi Buce,

If your wifes a nurse you should get residency quite easily particulaly if she has a job offer. It was easier for me to contact the local hospitals than go through a nursing agency.
    The hospital's HR staff have also been a great source of support.

Good luck