Thread: Any info on the NZ Army lifestyle?

WendyampBrucey is offline Junior Member

Default Any info on the NZ Army lifestyle?

Hi,

First time on the forum, first time on any forum to be honest so bear with me.
    My other half is in the process of transfering to the NZ Army from the British. Anyone out there know anything about the military community.
    I haven't really got anything good to say about the British, hoping the NZ will be nicer or will I have to hide away from typical Army wives everywhere?

Wendy

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Both,

The armed forces in NZ are tiny compared to the UK, with only something like 3000 troops in total! I'm sadly not in a position to comment on what life is like for an army wife though :icon_biggrin:

If kiwi soldiers are anything like your average Joe Kiwi, then your life will only be much better!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Andyok is offline Member

Hello Wendy and Brucey where in yorkshire are you now. How long have u been in the British Army and what do you do. I am in the army too, and like you are not typical of the Army scene. When do you plan to join the NZ army?

Hi Andy,

We are in Catterick at present, husband is in the Scots Guards. We are in the early process of joining the NZ Army, so a long way to go yet.
    But I am so keen and excited.
    What about yourself? Are you already there or planning it?

The Bruceys

papafauney is offline Junior Member

Hi, i am interested in this post because we are going to NZ in Oct leaving our son behind who is in the Army. He is hoping to sign off next year, then join us unsure if he could transfer, or if he wants to. have you found it easy/straight forward transfering? are you an officer or private..what is the process that you have had to follow? How many years have you served...sorry for so many questions but my son is very slow/shy about finding these things out...

skybluearmy is offline Senior Member

Hi Papafauney,
    my brother is an officer in the Army and he enquired about transferring over to the NZ Army, but they said that they wouldn't be accepting any Officers transferring for at least a couple of years :icon_sad:
    He will try another route in a couple of years time when he finishes ::):

Hi

Andy might be able to answer your questions better, but I'll tell you what we know.
    My husband is in the Scots Guards and is a Sgt he has been in the forces for 14 yrs now.
    We first contacted the NZ Army careers and asked for a contact number to find out whether my husband quals and trade would hold him for a good career in the NZ army. We where told that british army PTI's quals mean diddly, as their's are for more qualified. Armoured and recce quals are a good thing to have and hold good stead.
    You don't sign up for 22 yrs in the army, Iam not entirely sure how long you sign up for at a time, but you can stay in until a certain age 50 or 55 I believe (don't quote me on the exact age).
    You can't actually transfer from one the other, you have to completely leave the british army and then join the other. But you don't hand in your notice until you have a provisional offer of service from the NZ Army.
    We then filled the application form on the NZ army website and sent all our army docs to them and now we have been invited for a interview in Oct. If that is successful we will be offer a provisional offer of service (on condidtion we get a visa) and then we have to apply for a visa.
    I have been told yesterday that it is best to do the EOI before the interview to show we are serious.

Hope this helps. what is the son doing then?
    What are you doing when you get out there? It must be so exciting and worrying at the same time?

Wendy

Hi Wendy, thanks for that info. My son is in the Royal Engineers based in Germany. He has an engineering trade and has been in for 6yrs. My other son was also in the Army but came out last Nov to come with us to NZ. We are not really sure where we are heading but probably Bay of Plenty or Napier, we dont have jobs lined up, or a home so going on an adventure ! ... we do have my husbands parents living out there so will head to them to begin with!
    will they interview your husband in NZ or here?

Debbie

An adventure and a half!!!
    They will interview him in London, and they have ask me to join him to.
    I don't know how the engineer trade holds anything. But yesterday on a another forum some one suggested as resettlement do plant, (which I pressume is an engineery sort of thing) because they are in high demand. Might be more info on their website.

Anymore questions just ask.

Have fun!

what a small world it is. i was talking to my son who is stationed in Germany and apparently someone who he knows, recognised our post on here and linked it to him! Is this any of you on here? i understand that you too are heading back out out there for the second time?
    Debs