Thread: What do you think?

Default What do you think?

OK so heres our situation, desperately want to get to NZ, hubby has run own computer consultancy business for approx 2 years part time and 6 months full time he also has years of experience working in the computer support business but has no formal qualifications, I am a trade union organisor (not big business in NZ, I know!) but previously worked in the travel industry and have a BTEC qualification in travel and tourism. Ultimately hubby would like to set up a similar business in NZ but to come in on LTBV looks a fairly complicated way in and we are happy to work for others in the immediate future (doing anything legal that will pay the bills!). We have a property that we will have to sell before coming over but unfortunately it won't make us much of a profit as we only bought about 18 months ago. In the way of finances we would expect to have about ?15,000 to bring out with us. We are both in our late thirties and have two children. After all that rambling finally the question is do we try to get job offers first then go through skilled migrant category and hope it all comes together with sale of house etc etc or do we take a gamble sell house come over on visitors visa and try to find jobs once there. I realise that there isn't a definite answer to this but would really welcome the views and experiences of others to assist us in making our decision also any obvious pros and cons to both scenarios.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Sian

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Sian.

I really think it is down to personal choice and situation. Some people would think it madness to risk all, sell the house and move to NZ on a chance of finding employment and a new life. A lot of people would prefer the sercurity of a PR or at least a job offer before attempting to move across the world. This is a comforting and realistic way to go about things.

On the other hand to just sell up and go, however crazy it may seem has a great feeling of adventure and freedom. Although I agree it is a risk and I wouldn't want anyone to take the decision lightly, we feel this is the right move for us. We will be in NZ by the 2nd Of September after selling the house, and contents and booking the flights. I will let you know how we do over the next few months.

Either way I hope everything works out for you.

Sara

Thanks for that Sara, the thought of a bit of adventure and freedom is very appealling I have to say.
    Have a further question if Taffy or anyone else can answer I'd be grateful, I've just read in the Living and working in New Zealand book the following "since Mar 2000, general skills category applicants who meet the category requirements in all aspects but need an offer of employment to reach the pass mark have been allowed into New Zealand with a 6 month work permit in order to look for a job". I was really excited on reading this till I realised that the book was last reprinted 2 years ago and I have never come accross this bit of info anywhere else, is it out of date and no lomger applies? and if it does still apply how do you go about getting the 6 month work permit?
    Thanks
    Sian

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Yes, that information is out of date as the General Skills Category was scrapped in December 2003. You have to have the minimum points before applying now, or you wont get past the EOI stage.

The only thing like that now is the work to residence scheme, but if its a case of a few points for a job to go down the Skilled Migrant route, you're better off getting over to NZ and finding a job!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hi Taffy,
    Thanks for that speedy response, I thought that that would be the answer, I will be taking that particular book back and asking for a refund :icon_wink: .
    Unfortunately for you that leads me to another question....if we take your advice and jump on a plane and find a job once there how easy is it to then get a work permit/PR (not sure what the pros and cons of each would be) and does the prospective employer have to do much in order to help you obtain one ie is it likely to put them off if you don't already have a right to work in NZ? Also are there any stipulations about the job such as minimum salary etc?
    Thanks

Sorry thats actually several other questions! :icon_biggrin:

Blog Entries

Hi,

From the top! Work permits have certain conditions imposed on them which your employer has to satisfy, such as why they offered the job to a 'foreigner' and not a New Zealander, why you are suitable for the job and why they couldnt just train a kiwi to do the job. Work permits also take up to 60 days to process.

For PR, your employer will have very little, or most times nothing to do with immigration. As long as you have a contract of employment, they are usually happy. Sometimes they will contact the employer, just to check your job offer is genuine, but thats about all.

So, to answer the main question, yes, sometimes employers will be put off if you dont have the right to work in NZ, others, like mine, will go out of their way to make sure everything within their power is done for you for your permit/immigration application.

There are no minimum salary requirements for work permit or PR, although a particularly low salary when applying for PR may not be taken too well due to the possibility that you may not last the course financially.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

skunkgirl is offline Junior Member

Hello
    This is my first post but I have been watching this site for ages with great interest.

We are in the situation that my hubby has been offered a job but apparently we cannot apply for PR before we leave for NZ as the job is only on the short term shortage list.

We are detemined to go to NZ and will go down the route of applying for a work permit/visa. If we do that how long would we need to be in NZ before we can apply for PR there?

Vanessa

Blog Entries

Hi Vanessa,

That depends on many things, such as type of work, qualifications, number of years work experience etc.

If you use the points indicator on the immigration website (http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator) and fill in the form as if you are applying without a job offer, how many points do you score?
    Taffy

skunkgirl is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Taffy.

The sticking point seems to be whether the job offer is skilled or not. The other half has been offered a job as a HGV driver in NZ and although the job is on the Immediate Skills List that doesn't seem to be enough.

If I do the points indicator and indicate that the job is skilled then we score 110 but if we leave it blank we only score 50 !

We need help !