Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teacher Registration process

boorer is offline Member

Default Teacher Registration process

OK. I'm confused. I need someone to hold my hand. I want to start the process of getting my qualifications recognised and registering as a Teacher, with a view to immigration Jan 2007. I have read the NZQA form several times and can't decide on the answers to the following (sorry if I seem dumb). I'd obviously especially like answers from any teachers who've done it/are doing it at present!

a) Do I need to supply all my O and A Level Certificates as well as my degree ones?
    b) Do I need a letter from the schools (secondary and sixth form) I attended as a child saying I went there?
    c) Do I need a letter from ALL the schools I have worked at to verify length of teaching at each one?

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

I got my quals assessed and am now registered as a teacher in NZ! Just need to get there now!

You do need to supply original O, A and degree certificates to the NZQA but only certified copies to the NZTC. These should have the name of the school/college you studied at on the top.

You will also need to send a transcript of your degree course (ring the uni/college you were at. Mine cost ?15).

I sent references for my previous and current teaching jobs as evidence of employment. If you don't have these you could ring the LEAs for a record of employment although some don't archive these ( I've had to get this for my ITA from the pensions agency).

Just a tip - send both forms off together and put a note onto your NZQA form that you require them to forward their assessment report straight to the Teachers Council. The TC will keep your form on record until they receive this and then will register you straight away!!!!

Hope this helps rather than confuses! Good luck :icon_lol:
    Fisheress

boorer is offline Member

Default Teacher Registration Process

Thanks, that helps. Am dusting off certificates (thanks to a mother and a husband who are both fanatical about filing things!), and composing letter to previous job. Thanks for the tip about the NZQA forwarding things to the NZTA, that's very useful.
    Hope your job seeking goes well. I'm dithering about looking for next July/August, or waiting for new NZ school year in 2007. Both seem to have their pros/cons (the concept of still being paid in August by present job if some of the tales of salary delays are correct is appealing!).

Good Luck.....glad to help!!

I'm off to London tomorrow clutching ITA, hoping that if they're quiet they will interview me there and then!!

Fisheress

boorer is offline Member

Saw on the other thread that you submitted your ITA, but no interview - shame! Seems a real tightrope to walk - to go without PR and/or a job offer..... I will probably be in the same position next year! I have already registered for the vacancy alert service from the Education Gazette, just to see what is available! On the plus side, I have heard of several teachers (especially shortage subjects) who have got jobs without interview (saves on a trip!).
    Have sent off letter to last job, checking all other paperwork and looking glumly at $450 fee to NZQA. Ho hum.

Keep your chin up Boorer! I've had it massive today, but have decided that a drunken night with friends might make me feel better :icon_lol:

Fisheress

boorer is offline Member

Who needs an excuse for that!!!! :icon_biggrin:

jamasc is offline Junior Member

just a thought if you are looking for jobs to enable you to apply for PR.

Could you search on education board web sites for jobs rather than going through agencies.

I know its not the same but thats what I did for a nursing job and was much more constructive tahn going through a nursing agency.

boorer is offline Member

Thanks for the thought! I am monitoring the Education press - don't want to use an agency, as you rightly say that can be expensive!! Cross fingers time scale works!!

Multiserve is a charitable organisation......I've not paid a penny and have been interviewed in London and had loads of advice. Am now just getting them to organise interviews and visits for Oct when I visit.

The education gazette is also a good bet as all jobs are on there. Have just this minute clicked send on an application for a job I spotted on there yesterday!

Fisheress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast