Thread: A SAD DAY

skybluearmy is offline Senior Member

Default A SAD DAY

:icon_cry:
    A Sad day has dawned today. My beloved dog has just left to go to a dogs home. He has been a part of my family for 11 years since he was a pup and it feels as if my heart has been ripped out. It was a tough decision and one that i have been dreading/putting off since we started on this quest for a better life . I only wish that he was a few years younger and there would never have been a possibility that he wouldn't be coming with us. My 3 1/2 year old boy never leaves him alone and Cobi gets fed up with it so its not just that we are emigrating either. There has been a lot of asking family and friends if they wanted him and the last resort was the dogs home, but thats the only option that was left.
    I did a lot of research on the home (battersea, brands hatch kent) and it looks like it is a good place and they vet all the prospective owners and never put a dog down. I am still trying to convince myself that it would have been better if he stayed with us but in reality he wouldn't have.
    Its not about the money, we just didn't think it was fair to take a dog of his age all the way around the other side of the world. The little uns do not know he has gone yet and i am dreading it when Elliott comes home from nursery and sees that his doggy is no longer here. I know he never leaves Cobi alone but he does love him and just doesn't see it when he has had enough. :icon_cry:

A lot of you will already have made this decision and a lot are going to have to do this in the future, so be brave, good luck and do whats right for your pet not you!

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default A SAD DAY

So sorry guys, I am sure you have made the right choice considering Cobi's age. I'm sure it must have been very difficult, and I will be thinking about you all.
    I did some research about battersea with a girl I used to tutor, they sent me a educational pack. It really seemed a lovely place for the animals to be, very caring and they are very responsible about rehoming.
    Sara

Default A SAD DAY

Thanks Sara,
    i know it was the right choice and i know he went to a good place but as i said it doesn't make it any easier. I wasn't brave enough to take him so the better half and her friend took him, but i did take him for one last walk this morning and that will always be with me.

moggy is offline God like figure

Default A SAD DAY

We decided very early on in the decision process that we would not be taking our dog and two cats. His mother was soppy over the dog and had wanted to have her for ages so that wasn't to hard a decision to make. But the two cats we yhave changed our mind over again and again. One will the 9 when it comes to leave the other 7. Although I love them dearly, the uncertainty of where we will be living, the use of possom poison and possum traps and realising that in the 3 months before we could have them shipped out they will have forgotten about us anyway. It won't be hard to find homes for them as they are very affectionate, but still I feel bad over making the decision not to take them.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default A SAD DAY

Oh my God....thank goodness I haven't any pets to worry about! What a sad story, but I'm sure you've made the right decision!

Fisheress

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default A SAD DAY

Sympathies to you, Skyblue :010:. It seems you are doing the right thing for Cobi, though. I hope he charms a new family into adopting him soon. I recommend letting the children visit him at least once to say goodbye. I recall my sister felt betrayed when my parents put down a beloved and very ill cat while she was at school. She is still resentful over it (geez, it's been 30 years!).

We can't bear to leave behind our two cats. Fortunately they are still in their primes (7 & 2), but I dread the quarantine (we're in the US, darn it). I plan to camp out near the "kitty Ellis Island" and visit them as often as possible.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

spudulike is offline Junior Member

Default A SAD DAY

What a sad day, still kinder than dragging an old dog half way around the world. I'm sure they'll manage to rehome it soon. Hope your little one is ok :icon_sad:

MampS is offline Junior Member

Default A SAD DAY

you'll have a lot of sad days but it gets easier - we had to re-home our dog a couple of years ago when our eldest (now 4) went from a baby to a crawling toddler, the dog couldn't cope and for his sake we made that tough decision..but he now has a great family, living it up in a huge house in Surry with a lovely retired couple, so dont be hard on yourself you done what is best for your dog!!

ps. my husband starts in Dec but we want to get there asap !

Default A SAD DAY

Thanks Guys,
    Weve told Elliott that Cobi's gone on his hols so its not too bad for the moment. The house seems empty without Cobi, I got home at 9.30 last night at part of me hoped that they wouldn't take him and that he would be at home in his bed, but no such luck :icon_sad:

M & S i have a friend that was on sheppey but her start date was this month so she resigned last month and is already over there. She is doing her PR there the lucky cow. Is there anyone from your establishment going to Auckland? There were three of us from Dover going but two aren't going ahead. I wonder how many officers are there going in total.
    Bye for now
    Skyblue