Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We're in the UK!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default We're in the UK!

Well, Taffy and I have arrived in the UK - got here Tuesday morning and we're just recovering from the jetlag!

To cut a long story short, we've discovered that there is nothing we miss about the UK and we can't wait to go back!

Was fully expecting to go through massive security when we landed at Heathrow, given the recent atrocities, only to discover that we could pick up our baggage and walk out of the airport no questions asked - what a farce.... given the recent acts of terrorism, I would have expected to at least have had our baggage x-rayed or something....

We left behind a glorious sunny day in Auckland when we left, so we were hoping the UK weather wouldn't let us down (possibly wishful thinking). It's been quite sunny here but rather cold - quite comparable to our NZ winter in fact!

We've noticed things like the roads are narrower, the houses are crammed into every available space, people are miserable and ignorant, traffic is horrendous (we haven't been able to drive for more than a 5 minute spell without being stopped by lights and/or traffic jams) and we almost cried when we saw the price of petrol over here! Consequently, we can't wait to go home!

That said, it's been nice to see family and friends, but it has definitely made us appreciate how much better our life in NZ is.

So, we haven't disappeared off the face of the earth - we're keeping an eye on you lot, and we will be back (to NZ thankfully!).

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default We're in the UK!

hehe You sure know how to rub salt in our poor UK wounds don't you. i did warn you about petrol prices didn't I lol.

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default We're in the UK!

Fantatsic...!!!

That's probably the best post I've ever read on here.

I had a stupid grin on my face all the time I read it.
    It's made me even more determined to get out of this sh**hole of a country as soon as possible.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, hope your return journey goes well too.

Andyok is offline Member

Default We're in the UK!

When we came back, after living 2 yrs in Canada, we noticed all those things. The roads seemed tiny and everyone was in a hurry. The worst thing was driving in London, our skin felt like it had a layer of slime on it and we all felt as if we we asthmatic. It's always good to come back and realise you've done the right thing!!!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default We're in the UK!

:icon_biggrin:

Had to laugh bitterly at your experience of airport security, we have said ourselves that we could have easily smuggled into the country a nuclear device. You would be lucky to get a packet of polos and a dirty wellington boot into NZ unnoticed. What is the matter with them in the UK? Are their citizens more expendible? Perhaps it is just money. :icon_rolleyes:

And the roads ... clipping someone's wing mirror, or having mine clipped used to worry me silly in the UK. Now I am soooooo happy just driving along the road and knowing that should not happen. Also, the car parking spaces here seem so much more wider. Little things, I know, but they make life easier. :icon_biggrin:

Trust you will be back soon after your UK fix?
    :icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

Default We're in the UK!

Taffy's coming back on the 17th August (lucky sod!) and I'm coming back on the 5th September. As much as I long to go home (to NZ I mean, yes I do class it as 'home' now ::): ), I am staying for an extra few weeks to spend some more time with my 3 children who decided not to come to NZ with us. Taffy will have to cope without me for 3 weeks, so be gentle on him everyone..... :icon_wink:

All ticking over nicely here, though the weather's not holding out as well as we'd hoped. Meeting up with Sara and Ian today so we're looking forward to that :icon_biggrin:

Glenda, with regards to the airport security situation, I would hope that the higher powers don't think UK citizens are expendible, so I guess it has to be money. Having said that, there is massive development work going on at the airport, so they can't be short of a bob or two....

Anyway, off to experience some more of the good old UK :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Blog Entries

Default We're in the UK!

And as an update - we're still missing NZ! One more thing we noticed yesterday - the UK is actually quite smelly! - can't get a lungful of fresh air for love nor money! lol

Weather getting humid, roads are still narrow and people are still miserable (with a few exceptions!).

Have to admit though, I do miss the variety of foods that are available in the supermarkets - had 10 mins of heaven yesterday in Asda, walking past my old favourite cereals/yogurts/frozen food - all junk food granted, but it was a part of my life for the last 33 years.... (oops, gave away my age there :icon_redface: )

Anyway, I reckon it's about time Taffy did a posting on here....... :icon_rolleyes:

Zemanova is offline Member

Default We're in the UK!

Hi Guys

Please to hear you are missing NZ and having a "great time". Still you can consider yourselves lucky; Wales has got to be preferable to London.

See you when you get back

Pam & Dave

Blog Entries

Default We're in the UK!

Hi Both,

Hope you're both well. We are having a good time, but rest assured we will be back before you know it, so be prepared for another visit from us :icon_wink:

See you soon,

Lisa.

welsh-one is offline Junior Member

Default We're in the UK!

Lisaaaaaaa............

Come home mate !!!!

missing you calling for coffee,and Thomas is asking if Rachel is still on the plane !!!! AWWWWW

See you soon............

Dawn

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast