Thread: Medical insurance

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Medical insurance

Just had a quote for medical insurance as a visitor from the UK.

Just wondered if anyone had had any quotes on insurance for the family and roughly how much you were quoted. For 6 months we were quoted ?715 for 12 months ?1,192. Thought this was a bit steep but not knowing what to expect wasn't sure. this was for 5 million medical though, will we need that much?

I just wanted to know we were covered basically from leaving the front door to our arrival in NZ and for our time there.

Anyone know ? Thanks.
    Sara

Coxy is offline Member

Saraian,
    I thought NZ had a reciprocal health agreement with the UK??? If so, you shouldn't need medical insurance (?).

Yes we do. See http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...amp;chk=hjXVY2

Coxy

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Thats true as far as I know. I believe the official line the new zealand health organisation take is. "....people from the uk are entitled to free 'urgent' medical attention, through the UK and NZ reciprocal health agreement..."

Struggled to pin down what exactly this means, but a head ache could be urgent, so barring the doctors fee, surely it'll be ok to get checked. I would look for a more basic cover Sara, should be cheaper and cover you for the few loopholes in the agreement, you won't need the full shebang.

It should be noted tho, that most advice is alonmg the lines of "best to book it just in case" and with such a high margin for error (if I misread or something) I wouldn't like you to take this as stone cold solid advice in case anything were to happen god forbid :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif :icon_sad:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The recipricol agreement covers 'Urgent emergency treatment only'. So people seriously injured in a road accident, or in Glens case being crushed by a cow he's tipping!

If you got a chest infection, or similar ailment not classed as an emergency, then you would not be covered for this. When you add up doctors fees and prescriptions, it can get expensive!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

So can someone offer an opinion for me on a one year trip. We are looking at travel insurance, would we need for the whole year as going from place to place. However, unlikely to cover manual work by some places so do we get seperate medical cover as on WHV and therefore not eligible for cheaper rates?

So much to think about! :icon_eek:

The closer we get the more questions and the more addicted to this site but the less time to do so...

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi

I dont know if this is the same with other Banks but as long as we keep our Royal Bank of Scotland account open we automatically get our Travel Insurance with them...all we need to do I think from memory is call them when we want it activated??

TheWaters is offline Senior Member

ours only cover u for 90 days :icon_frown:

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Ignore me I think I might be getting muddled up with medical and travel insurance? :icon_confused:

Is there much of a difference between the both of them??

CrystalLil is offline Junior Member

I got my travel insurance from this bunch: http://www.insureandgo.com/
    when I went on my 1 year WHV. I think it cost about ?200 - though I didn't shop around much and quite possibly could have got a better deal. I never ended up having to make a claim and felt the money might have been better spent elsewhere - but at least my mother got a little bit of peace of mind!

Lil.

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Would it be cheaper to get cover to see you there, then take out the appropriate cover once in NZ? We aim to do this.