Thread: SHOPS!!

muddy is offline Junior Member

Default SHOPS!!

My Girlfriend has asked me to see if anyone knows what the quality of shops are like in NZ. We are going to Hawkes Bay, are they roughly the same as UK? ie does NZ have most of the same high street shops? We're both pretty much fashion victims here in the uk but it does'nt bother me too much if the shopping isn't up to much, again any info would be much appreciated...

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default SHOPS!!

Heh, although I can't tell you how similar the shops are between here and there I can say this....

NZ has only about 50 shops.

They are repeated adnauseum throught the many malls in the country. You will get the same shops, selling the same stuff, multiple times in every city.

The real blessing is to find one that is unique, and not a chain store. Don't hold your breath....

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default SHOPS!!

50.. thats not bad,, the uk only has half a dozen..

next
    debenhams
    john lewis
    top shop
    river island...

that covers just about every shopping centre in the UK..
    There are shit loads of shoe shops right enough.. and then the big 4 supermarkets..

maybe half a dozen was a bit of an exaeggeration but theres not many more..
    I'm a big fan of fat face but I'll just need to use the information super highway for them..

does anyone out there know what the equivalents to the likes of Next are..
    My wife will need counselling when it comes to getting rid of that bloody directory..

dazza is offline Junior Member

Default SHOPS!!

Next , you could rent a sheep,

Auckland next monday :041:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default SHOPS!!

Oh there are plenty of replacements for Next, just depends where you go! Here in Hamilton, there are quite a lot of clothes stores, and there's always the biggies like Farmers, who is the probable equivalent of Peacocks.

Netchicken is right though, a great deal of stores are chains, although with some you could never tell. But on the other hand, there also seems to be quite a lot of independent stores around Hamilton.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Coxy is offline Member

Default SHOPS!!

There was an Esprit in Napier (with excellent service I might add) when we were there, but that was about 7 years ago now.
    There were a few little "boutique" shops, and as Taffy said a Farmers (I'm guessing that is not what she's after?!), but not much in between. You might have to take her on a shopping trip to Auckland or Welly.....you poor sod :)
    On one of the other forums (Can't remember which. Apologies Taffy) there is someone who lives in Napier now, so maybe you could ask there?

Might see you out there, we could be heading off next year now!
    :icon_biggrin:

Coxy

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default SHOPS!!

we're off next year too hopefully and at the moment are set on Auckland, but having read some of Jodie's posts , we may end up soemwhere completely different, like she did..

Is there much of a catalogue shopping industry in NZ..
    I can't remember the last time I bought clothes in a shop..

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default SHOPS!!

There are a few (2 as far as Iknow) catalogues regularly sent here, but I doubt its very popular.

How can you buy clothes from a picture? There are so many cariables that you need to see them to judge.

Unfortunatly we are on one catalogue list however I have never bought anything from it as the goods are no different from what you can get in the shops.

This are some catalogue organizations
    http://www.lvmartin.co.nz/

http://www.ezibuy.co.nz/content/inde...rnd=1122578445

I have a friend who is semi diabled and she has great success using this
    https://www.woolworths.co.nz/HomeShopping/Default.aspx

They deliver the grocieries for a mere $17 (I think) above the price in the shop.