Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is in Auckland ?

AugampFeb is offline Junior Member

Default Who is in Auckland ?

Dear all,

We are looking at coming to live in Auckland. Just thought I start this thread for those of us heading to or already at the City of Sails. :icon_biggrin:

We would be interested in areas to live, commuting times and routes, rentals, schools....you name it.....whatever useful info.

Thanks !! :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

:117:

loz
    loz is offline Junior Member

Just got in last week. I am now in the Mt Wellington area with my other half and have sort of set up home. So far so good, the place is nice and friendly and has lots of shops etc. Not to pricy and i think we have landed on our feet.

From what we have seen of Auckland so far its great. There are some amazing places and from our place to the center of the city only takes 10 mins on the moterway. If u travel an extra 5 mins u can get to some great places on the coast.

If any one is in the area and wants to meet up for a beer please drop me a line

Loz&Miriam

Maka is offline Member

Hi Loz&Miriam,

I have some questions to rentals in Auckland.

Are there any cheap / expensive, good/bad suburbs ?

I am considering Davenport, how is it? I would like to live on (or at least close) the beach, is it more costly? How did you find your place to live?

thanks and have a great time ! :smiley20:
    Maka

loz
    loz is offline Junior Member

Hi Maka

I am in and around Mt wellington. I am not sure about Devenport. I think it is rather expensive from what i have seen but that depends on what u want to spend. I stayed at a hotel for 3 days and in that time found the place i am in now. Just go on the net or to an estate agents they have loads of places to rent there.

Any more questions drop me a PM and can give my number or E mail.

Cheers

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

The Auckland area is great. If like us you don't want the snow and the cold on your doorstep this is the place to be. It is midwinter and I am sunning myself on the rear sundeck/patio. It is consistently warmer and drier than South Island.
    We live in Pukekohe, a semi-rural town which produces much of the county's vegetables. Here you will also find Pukekohe Park home of V8 racing for the next two years at least. Life is wonderful and my wife who works in the Sth suburb of Papatoetoe just loves to drive home at the end of each day. We have all that we came for, a nice house that we could never have afforded in the UK (Hants), and a very laid back lifestyle. Here, in easy commuting distance from Auckland and all the entertainment it offers like concerts in the park, museums, shops and nightlife, we can spend our days 'away from it all'. We have locally, and in walking distance: schools, library, 2 swimming pools, several parks and all the shops and restaurants that make up a thriving community. We fell in love with the place at first sight 7 months ago and have no thoughts of moving on.
    We came for the lifestyle, we do not struggle and to be perfectly honest we only miss a couple of people in the uk and absolutely nothing of the lifestyle. I suppose we are a bit unusual I am retired but have a wife half my age and four children from 4 up to 15. They all love it too and have no thoughts of the uk beyond e mail contact with close friends.
    Don't be afraid to live your dream - I'd rather be broke here than broke in the uk that's for sure.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

[quote:735afa93f8]Don't be afraid to live your dream - I'd rather be broke here than broke in the uk that's for sure[/quote:735afa93f8]

My sentiments exactly..... :icon_biggrin:

nattydread is offline God like figure

I like the look of Pukekohe..

Do you know how long a drive it is from there to Middlemore Hospital Daisyspop?

How long to the centre of Auckland too? Is that a drive or a train job??

Maka is offline Member

Craig, I've found this on the web:

Pukekohe is 52 kilometres from Auckland central and 97 kilometres from Hamilton. The proximity to these centres provides an opportunity for the 1.8 million people living within one hours drive to visit and enjoy the unique atmosphere and service that is Pukekohe.

http://www.pukekohe.org.nz/

It sounds a bit too long drive for me, but the place looks amazing!

nattydread is offline God like figure

cheers maka..

I've looked at that site too.. didn't register the fact that it tells you...
    Doh!!!

30 miles isn't too bad a commute.

I'm used to tackling the M8 in the morning.
    That would be equvalent to commuting from Auckland to Wellington on some days...

AugampFeb is offline Junior Member

Daisyspop, if I work in Northshore, how far and how long is the drive from Pukekohe ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast