Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nz's green image

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Nz's green image

Do you think that Nz's green image is justified or is it just good PR?

tottefan.

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Nz's green image

In some ways it is, the are very much into recylcing and re-use and adapting what they have rather than buying new. However I don't believe that they have any immissions testing for cars.

Also although now trying to be "green", it comes after decades of abuse of the land - massive deforistation by the initial settlers etc

GlenW is offline Member

Default Nz's green image

Can you buy dolphin unfriendly tuna?

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default Nz's green image

"Fish are friends not food"

"Yeah, Except Dolphins.. I hate Dolphins"

"all that flapping and showing off,, ooohhhh look at me I'm a flamin' dolphin"

GlenW is offline Member

Default Nz's green image

Sometimes I wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Nz's green image

[quote:855088731c="craigbalsillie"],, ooohhhh look at me I'm a flamin' dolphin"[/quote:855088731c]
    I almost peed my pants! :043: :005: :043: :005: :043:

I got the impression that NZ is developing a more eco-groovy attitude, and just seems to be a couple of decades behind the US (and UK?) in a few ways. I'm hoping they are gearing up for soil and groundwater contamination issues, 'cause that's probably how we'll get into the job market there.

I'm not too impressed with their forestry practices, which make Palco look like Jack-in-the-Green. Lots of huge clearcuts on steep slopes. On the drive from Taupo to Napier in 2001, we drove for ages through mountains that had been denuded for as far as the eye could see - which was a goodly distance. But I'm not completely educated on what's going on there, so am trying not to judge too harshly. But I do wonder about the environmental impact.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default Nz's green image

I once asked for hector dolphin steaks in Akaroa :)
    The waiter was not amused :)

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Default Nz's green image

It may have been that these were all forests that matured at the same age.

I think Taupo was not good for any other soil use apart from trees - some deficiency in the soil because of the volcanic ash nature ruled out animals (I vaguly remember, selenuim?)

As a result it was all trees, trees glorious trees!

[quote:a7d052455c="selchie"]
    I almost peed my pants! :043: :005: :043: :005: :043:
    I'm not too impressed with their forestry practices, which make Palco look like Jack-in-the-Green. Lots of huge clearcuts on steep slopes. On the drive from Taupo to Napier in 2001, we drove for ages through mountains that had been denuded for as far as the eye could see - which was a goodly distance. But I'm not completely educated on what's going on there, so am trying not to judge too harshly. But I do wonder about the environmental impact.[/quote:a7d052455c]

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Nz's green image

Find it hard when people criticise countries for de-forestation, it's a bit hypocritical when we consider what we have done to the UK. It's only now we've only got a few forests (real ones) left that we've gone all self-righteous. The US has plenty of land to go around so they don't face the same issue, but NZ is still small and growing, I think they have every right to de-forest. At the end of the day they have to live in constant fear of extra UV rays harming, cos the rest of the world has screwed up the atmosphere above them.
    I'm not sayng that this approach is right, just that we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Nz's green image

To be fair to NZ, the areas you are talking about, around Taupo, are commercial logging forests, which are grown to be cut down. They are all sustained by replantation, so it's not techically de-forestation.

It doesnt look too pleasant when they have had a cutting spree though, looks awful in fact. But if you go down that way at the moment, you'll see hundreds upon hundreds of little baby trees poking through ::):

Supposedly, 2 thirds of New Zealand is protected land, which would also include many forests. The only fuss you ever hear about trees being cut down is when it's to make way for something useless, which usually gets shelved anyway shortly after all the trees were cleared! Even to that end, we're not talking huge areas, just a couple of acres maybe.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast