Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW ZEALAND vs. AUSTRALIA?

calazo is offline Junior Member

Default NEW ZEALAND vs. AUSTRALIA?

:icon_biggrin: Hi Guys, I just registered... I was wondering if any of you could comment on why New Zealand would be better than Australia for migration (real arguments please, other than weather and poisonous animals...). (I need to convince my wife...). Thank you :020:

GlenW is offline Member

I like easy questions!

AUSTRALIANS is the answer. :icon_wink:

And immigration to New Zealand has always been by choice.

nattydread is offline God like figure

apart from the weather and poisonous snakes I dont know that there's much of a difference is there...??

I know the immigration process is slightly different between the two, and I think I'm right in saying that the NZ process is easier than the Oz one.. but I could be wrong.

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Australia has warmer climate, more jobs, higher wages, more sun, fewer racial issues.

However house prices can be higher.
    Jobs are technically harder to find- higher unemployment. (but a bigger pop allows for more niche jobs.)

Their economy is on the way down, and everything tries to eat you. You have beautiful beaches you san't swim at because of the crocs/ jellies/ sharks, bland bush full of ticks and agressive insects. They also have crap beer.

There is a steady stream of kiwi's who move to Australia for the above reasons and find it great.

Really, Australia IS better than New Zealand, we have an ongoing population of immigrants from 3rd world and asian countries, who get NZ residency, and citizenship, then hop over the tasman for the work never to return. There are frequent articles in the press about kiwis who move to aussie and never look back.

However as one who has lived there, I prefer NZ for the landscape, the outdoors, and the freedom to travel without fear of being eaten. Out light, colors, scenery is stunning compared to Aussie.

We were laughing about this the other night, in one of the typical aussie sell programs, that show the features of Australia to attract tourists. They talked of the "mighty majestic Murray river" and there was this ugly brown river with a bland boring landscape. Or another tourist hotel where more focus was put on the bacon and eggs for breakfast than the actual environment!

kiwi_fairy is offline Senior Member

[quote:f7d34a4cfc]However as one who has lived there, I prefer NZ for the landscape, the outdoors, and the freedom to travel without fear of being eaten. Out light, colors, scenery is stunning compared to Aussie.[/quote:f7d34a4cfc]

yeah!

Juggy is offline Junior Member

Default NZ V Aus -Are you sure?

I think you will find that there are massive racial issues in Austrlia. If you are the kind of person who doesn't mind bigotry and right wing media, then fine, move to Aus. However, if the appalling state of the Aborigines, and the total lack of any govt. response to their decimation may irk you, then move to NZ where the racial politics are far in advance of Aus. I have lived in both.

Yeah there are massive racial issues, but they are not "in your face" like this from the weekend Men dressed in police uniforms are demanding money from Gisborne businesses, claiming it is rent owed to the Maori Government of Aotearoa. which is nothing less than a Maori mafia.

BTW thats not one of my reasons for living there, just one reasons that some people do move from NZ to Aussie over. Especially if you come from some of the more powder keg areas of NZ.

nattydread is offline God like figure

sounds well dodgy that story in the star-times..

where are the "powder keg" areas..?

I can see a hole opening under me on this topic, and implications and biases attributed that I do not have.

Lets just say that historically and politically, we are not a happy little nation of brothers. Maori sepratism is a growing phenomena that may find its voice and power if the maori party embed in at the next election.

Juggy is offline Junior Member

I only lived in Auckland, which as you know is very ethnically mixed. I am sure you are right about the separatism of Maori, especially in some of the quieter areas. However, I stick by what I say about Australia. I am mixed race, Jamaican and English, and never once felt out of place in NZ. However, In Oz my colour of skin/accent was remarked upon many times, even in 'cosmo' places like Melbourne.

I suppose with the British colonial history, nowhere will be utopia!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast