Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is planning on buying a lifestyle block?

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Who is planning on buying a lifestyle block?

And what do you plan on doing with it?

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

As you know moggy we would love alifestyle block, only with 2-5 acres though. Depends on the price when we get there and what kind of wage ian gets to whether we can afford one. We will have a decent deposit but not enough to buy one out right.

What we want to do with it? Hmmm, couple of horses a sheep a pig, a goat and maybe a couple of chucks would be nice. A hobby farm in other words. I love animals, can you tell. Ian says he will mark out a football pitch and teach all the locals how to play before you know it we will have footy on tv over there. Don't think so do you :icon_confused:

apart from a huge veggie patch, I want a pig, maybe some ducks and chickens, but I don't know how much work is involved in keeping those.

I love the idea of being not over looked and do daft things like sunbathing nude (OK only for 10 mins in NZ sunshine) skinny dipping being a noisy as we want, playing the violin outside - who knows I might even take up the bagpipes again lol!! :icon_biggrin:

Oh and Mark/Stealth wait for it .... wants a ride on tractor :icon_rolleyes:

Can't fault ya. That's what appeals too me too. Not the tractor just the isolation. :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif maybe i'm mad.

[quote:5ed450d3df="saraian"]maybe i'm mad.[/quote:5ed450d3df]

why say maybe? we [b:5ed450d3df]know[/b:5ed450d3df] you are :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Ha ha you know me so well!!

GlenW is offline Member

I moved to the house I live in now from a terraced house where we used to get woken up by motorbikes screaming down the street.
    First few morning here we got woken up by a cockerel crowing.
    Imagine being surrounded by a few acres of your own land, where the sounds are natural and yours. Heaven.

Oh! by the way a .22 lr sorted that bloody chicken out!

krapotkin is offline Junior Member

Hi guy's ,
    Well for some of you your dreams will come true.
    As i write we are in the process of moving ( so should be packing) ,to a little lifestyle block.
    We have been blessed with 3 acres ,which includes a pond , 3 natrual springs , a pig pen, areas to turn for veg. And of course fruit trees.
    The house is not massive ,but scope enough to extend. We feel lucky as prices have shot up, ( we live in the far north so not the mst expensive place)
    All this and on one wage of a teacher .( NOT MORTAGE FREE).

It IS possible , but as we have found getting more difficult as even prices here for slightly larger blocks are in the $300,000 range.

Keep going on them dreams guy's

Krapotkin.
    (oh forgot the 2 angoran goats as well)

krapotin, that sounds sheer bliss.

I am so torn, between saying stuff it stick the house on the market, get out there get a job and PR, or waiting here for a year, paying off the mortage so that sensible me will have huge buying power over there to get what I really want. :icon_confused:

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I'd love a few acres, not only to have a mini farm, but to give me a buffer from the neighbors. I'd have veggies, herbs, blueberries, an orchard, ornamental garden. I have this where we are now, but we're on only 1/3 acre. I'd like to supply our kitchen with peppers which may not be widely available in NZ, like jalapenos, serranos, anaheim and cayenne. Maybe I can grow lots and share them around! Other edibles, too. The OH is a lovely little chef.

We'd also like to raise ducks again - wonderful eggs, they are so much fun to watch, and they love to eat snails & slugs. They aren't too much trouble to keep, Moggy. Not much meat on them though, which makes the effort of butchering and cleaning almost not worth it. So hens and maybe one token drake.

I'd like to have a studio separate from the house, OH would probably like a darkroom, and we'd both like a blacksmith's forge. A private grove of trees would also be nice, as a wildlife and me haven. I wouldn't mind having a bagpipe-playing neighbor! I suppose we'll need to get over there soon, or we'll be priced out.

Thinking of GlenW's cockerel: when I did have ducks, there was one morning when I went out to feed them, and found the neighbor's rooster freeloading. I thought I'd shoo him off by lobbing a rock at him - never thinking that I would hit him, I got him square in the head! I had to finish him off, then called work to tell them I'd be an hour late so I could clean him. The boss said it was the most interesting reason for coming in late that he'd heard! Never did tell the neighbor where her rooster went.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast