Thread: Politics

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Politics

There's a general election in NZ this year right?
    Whats the score with the various parties in contention for leadership, do they have proportional representation?
    I heard that some nationalist party was heading opinion polls or something, will this have implication to the immigration process do we think?
    So is that Helen Clark lady (is that right) on her way out?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Politics

Haven't quite got to grips with politics here yet. The main opposition seems to be coming from Don Brash of the National Party (I think thats right, anyway). From what I've seen to compare Helen Clarke and Don Brash, I think Helen Clarke should stay firmly where she is!!

Hope I dont spark off a major debate now, for all I know HC could be a terrible Prime Minister! I just like her 'kiwi' attitude towards politics.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Politics

From what little I gathered reading the papers when in NZ, Ms. Clark seems to rather level-headed. Not sure about the NP chap.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Default Politics

Surely a nationalist party is never all that great...specially for immigrants :icon_frown:
    Also does nationalist mean slightly racist too? i.e Probably gonna be a bit worse for Maoris. Apparently there's bits on there website about concerns of the projected number of asians in 20 years time as they'll overtake the maoris as number 1 ethnic minority in NZ.
    HC is certainly helping us all out currently with her immigration stance so she's all good imo :icon_lol:

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Politics

We knew a Kiwi fellow who was nice, but had a bit of a racist streak. He'd complain about all the non-natives coming into the country. I'd ask with big brown eyes, you mean the Europeans? He would harrumph a bit, and then say something about "real" Kiwis. Once again my eyes would be wide, "you mean the Maori?" Then we'd talk about beer or something else we could agree on.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Politics

It wouldnt be good for NZ if the National Party won the election. Racism aside (as I dont know if they even are), they are one of those parties that just promises everything that the current govt don't do, or have made mistakes with.

The trouble is, what they are promising is ultimately harmful (such as income tax cuts, funded by cutting spending on health and education). I'm sure you will agree, that's no good for anyone.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

krapotkin is offline Junior Member

Default Politics

Well at the moment it could be going , The wonderful Mr. Winston Peters :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif might hold the balance of power. I believe that the system sometimes means that a party with a few % could become joint runners of the country!

Of course it's all personal taste!!!

Default Politics

Yeah I did hear about a possibly hung parliament which would suggest it's not proportional representation. Whose that guy never heard of him thought it was DB or HC?