Thread: What do I do first?

mslloyd is offline Junior Member

Default What do I do first?

My wife, son & I are thinking seriously about moving out to NZ. What should we be doing as a first step? :icon_question:

NickampJacky Guest

Firstly, and as I expect your already doing it 'cos your here, is to as much reading around NZ as possible, web sites like this, NZ employment agency sites, real estate sites etc. In fact here in this forum is probably the best place!

Good Luck

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Have you visited yet? I realize that it isn't cheap to go over, but it can be difficult to know it's where you want to be if you haven't experienced it. A visit would be cheaper in the long run than moving here and then finding out it's not for you.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ - this is the New Zealand Immigration Service website. If you click on this link, then click on 'Skilled Migrant Category Points Indicator' (on the menu on the left), you can run through and see if you would score enough points to apply for Residency. You need to score 100 points at the moment in order to be eligible to apply for Residency.
    If you do come over on a Visitors Visa, if you are a Resident of the UK, you will be allowed to stay for 6 months. If you want to work during that time, you will have to apply for a Working Holiday Visa.
    Your best bet at the moment is to have a look around the Immigration website and see what your best options are, because there are other ways of getting over here (and staying over here!).
    HTH
    Good luck! :icon_biggrin: