Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A long and frustrating wait!

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default A long and frustrating wait!

I have 3 years until I live in NZ. Although I'll be going on holiday there in 18 months time, both seem an absolute age. I can't wait to start a new life the other side of the planet and get away from where I'm living now.

Anyone else frustrated at how long they have to wait? If so, this can be the thread to vent your frustrations.

tottefan.

nattydread is offline God like figure

It's about 1 year since we first seriously started looking into emigrating to NZ..
    Back the 2 years seemed an absolute age to have to wait.

Now we are a few weeks away from kicking off things in earnest...

It's still about 6 or 7 months away but it hasn't half come round quick...
    The next 6 or 7 months are going to be more frustrating than something thats very frustrating..

I find it comforting reading this forum day to day, reading stories about the ones who have already done the deed...
    I remember when I first joined the forum, even Taffy was still in this country, I keep saying it, but the posts that people make upon arrival in NZ are the best...
    I would even suggest a new forum "The arrivals lounge" for that very purpose.. Its such a lift reading the first post from NZ from someone who's been through it all...
    Can't wait to hear how Glenda and her family have gotten on, and when they get settled all the other recent arrivals..

driver is offline Member

try going for a LTBV we applied in March, won't even get a case officer until Sept/Oct won't even know if we'll be any where near going until xmas.

We had the idea to go to NZ in 2002 and it took this long to sort out someone to help with our application save up money to visit the place and then more money to pay for the business plan and application etc.

After all this we may get a visa we may not. Even then it will be a long slog to PR having to prove ourselves all the way. If we mess up and not prove to be a benefit to NZ by employing people and or bring in new technology etc. Then its the long way home for us.

A lot of people on here say oh well if you don't give it a go you'll never know, well I can't be that optimistic. We'll be giving up everything, pension, good life, existing business, lovely house. Many times i've thought we're mad, but just have to do it incase our gut feeling might be the right one.

Watch this space........

Sorry to have rained on the thread, must be an off day. :icon_confused:

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Any reason why you have to wait so long tottefan?

Craig, you're absolutely right about hearing peoples stories who have already 'done the deed'.... I love reading the postings about people who are just about to leave/have just arrived - I get so excited for everyone! It is an incredible journey with many many ups, and many many downs along the way, but I can totally understand how they all feel, having already done it ourselves, and it gives inspiration to all of you who haven't done it yet, that it will eventually happen one day! :icon_biggrin:

This forum is like a soap-opera that you can join in with! Just wait until it's you saying 'this is your last posting for now as you're flying out tomorrow' Craig..... then you'll understand the fear/ecstacy/worry/excitement feeling :icon_wink: - but what an adventure to have, eh?? ::):

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi driver, and firstly welcome to the forum! ::):

Sorry you're feeling a bit disheartened at the moment :icon_frown: . It is a long hard slog before you get here, and sometimes after you get here (bl**dy Immigration have a lot to answer for :icon_twisted: ) but keep your goal in sight and visit the forum as often as you like to get some advice or vent your anger! lol

I can't advise you whether it will all be worth it - it was for us - but if you have a gut feeling that you should go, then I reckon you should, else you will always be wondering 'what if.....'.

Keep your chin up!

tottefan is offline Senior Member

[quote:b2c28a50c4]Any reason why you have to wait so long tottefan?
    [/quote:b2c28a50c4]

I'm starting uni this year and the course lasts 3 years. Someone, please try to convince me that 3 years isn't a long while and it will whizz by!

Tottefan.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

We're still soldiering on! My EOI has now been transferred from Christchurch to London now but that means nothing really. My problem now is that my eldest boy has just finished his GCSEs and is having the time of his life with his friends. He said he's losing excitement about NZ because it's taking so long and is now looking forward to starting 6th form. If immigration don't get a move on it may be too late!!!!! :smiley19:

nattydread is offline God like figure

tottefan... 3 years is nothing mate..

My wife is 8 weeks away from the end of her 3 year course..
    I still remember her first day , when I took the day off work to drive her in.

It seems like only yesterday.. It will fly by..

Welshgirl, I can't wait to make that departure imminent posting..
    I get goose bumps now just thinking of it.
    We don't have the time or money to make a recce trip so when we land in Auckland next year, it will be the first time we set foot in the Siuthern Hemisphere, never mind in New Zealand.

It's all good.

driver is offline Member

Thanks welshgirl, for your positivity.
    And to all the others who post good stuff on here each day, i'm completely hooked on NZ forums.. how sad.

Fisheress: We have a similar thing with our son, in 2002 he was desperate to get out there, but now has been offered a place in September to a carpentry college, something he's wanted to do since he was small. This will be a great career for him in NZ. The twins started secondary grammar last Sept and are doing well, dragging them away from that won't be easy either.

I'm like a terrier with a bone about NZ I just can't let it go. Come on Wellington get rid of the back log we're in.

Craigbalsillie: Good on you for going without visiting, we kept getting told that it would help our application if we'd been there. As it was already a weak one apparently, we forked out thousands to come over for a 3wk trip for 5!!! This put us back another year having to save up for the visa fee and medicals, X-rays and to get over the cost of the trip etc.
    I'd only advice a recce if you can afford it.
    Good luck to you all look forward to seeing the post we all so want to make.
    :icon_razz:

moggy is offline God like figure

We started thinking about New Zealand at the biggining of the year, had to wait until a house sold before we could aford to go an visit, but since we decided that we definitely want to do it, a year just seems so long off. We need to get the house ready to sell and apply for PR, but we are waiting until hopefully the exchange rate is more favourable as that will make a huge difference to the house we can afford once there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast