Thread: Is retirement possible/likely?

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Is retirement possible/likely?

When I apply, with my sister, for residency via the skilled route ( I 'll have a degree) can my parents retire out there at the same time as family? If so, are they likely to be accepted? If not, how long will they have to wait before they stand a reasonable (if any) chance of being accepted?

Thanks. :icon_wink:

tottefan.

moggy is offline God like figure

I am pretty sure that unless your parents have loads of money to invest in NZ, they will not be able to retire out there.

Also your sister will have to put in a separate application to yourself, only spouses and those in a de facto relationship can put in a joint application.

krapotkin is offline Junior Member

I believe that they will be able to retire, once you are a citzean, which will be 5 years. You will probably be expected to sponser them.
    Hope things work out for your move.
    Chips

Zemanova is offline Member

There are couple of ways they could retire to NZ if they haven't got a few million. The first is to be sponsored by a close family member who has PR and has been living in NZ for 3 years or more.

This however is only possible if the person being sponsored has more family in NZ than in their home country.

The second method is via the Family Quota Scheme ( the method that was successful for us). This is like the first method, but without the need to have more family here than in the home country. The system works by your sponsor entering you into an annual worldwide draw,costing $100. Around June each year 250 applications are "draw out of the hat" and the lucky ones get PR, subject to medical and police check.

Unfortunately since we were successful, this scheme does not seem to have happened every year. You may need to check. Also it is only available if you do not qualify under any other scheme.

Hope this helps.

Pam & Dave

ChrisBlunt is offline Member

[quote:0a53c09f9e]
    This however is only possible if the person being sponsored has more family in NZ than in their home country. [/quote:0a53c09f9e]

This is not quite true, it is down to the "centre of gravity" of the family. Examples are the easiest way to explain this:-

1. If you are a parent and you have two children in the UK and one in NZ, you cannot apply as your centre of gravity for your family is in the UK.

2. If you are a parent and you have one child in the UK and two children in NZ you can apply as your centre of gravity for your family is in NZ.

3. If you are a parent and you have the same number of children in UK as you have in NZ you can apply, as the centre is neither in the UK or NZ.

Hopefully I have explained this so that it is easy to understand.

Cheers,

Chris.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Haven't they stopped the family quota stream for this year? Sure I read it somewhere? Could well be wrong seems a tad harsh if they have.

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. :icon_biggrin:

tottefan.

krapotkin is offline Junior Member

[quote:906b6967a2]Could well be wrong seems a tad harsh if they have.[/quote:906b6967a2]
    I think you might find that this is correct ,and they might not do a draw for a while.
    Reading between the lines, if i may, the family quota might have been slightly abused in the passed by certain sections of the community.
    For example - Tottefan wishes to move his parent/s. 2 people.
    There , i suspect have been families who have moved larger amounts of people as the consider ,brother,sister ,thier spouses, their children family.
    This is of course due to cultural definitions of "family".. There is no implication in this statement ,mind.
    And i guess i suspect that the "family catogory might be " used" as a bit of a football.

After all there will be few goverments in the world ,rightly or wrongly ,that would want to allow one skilled migrant in ,then allow 10 memebers of their family who are not skilled, or cannot support themselves

Again, it's a bit sad that there will be no selection in this catorgory to reunite families who wish to be together , what ever thier situation or back ground.

All the best Tottefan.
    Krapotkin.