Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holidaying in NZ

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Holidaying in NZ

I was wondering about the cost of holidaying in NZ from the UK.

There will just be me and my older sister. I want to do a month tour of both islands. I'm not really bothered about having expensive accommodation - as long as it's reasonable. Does anyone have any idea about roughly how much such a holiday costs for 2 people (food, flight and other stuff included) for a month?

tottefan. :icon_cool:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Holidaying in NZ

If either of you drive, it may be worth hiring a camper van instead of paying for accomodation & a hire car. Flight costs will depend on what time of the year you wish to fly (take a look on our new flight search 'Book Flights' link to find prices).

Accomodation prices vary substantially, depending on which city you are in. A cheap hotel in Auckland will set you back $80 ish per night, or you can track down the back-packer hostels which are a great deal cheaper, but you share rooms with many other people and in some cases provide your own bedding.

Food wise you could probably live on $20 a day, or a bit more if you eat out.

If neither of you want to drive, public transport is expensive and not very good. Hitch-hiking is an option, and seems to be quite common with travellers on back-packing holidays.

All you'll need then is money for sight seeing and souvenirs, and the fare for the inter islander ferry, or flight to the South Island / North Island.

Lastly, make sure you keep $25 each in reserve for your airport duty fee, which is payable on departure. This fee is required to validate your outward ticket, or they wont let you through customs!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Holidaying in NZ

From what we heard, many backpackers also provide ensuite rooms (~50NZD?) for folks who don't want to do the dorm thing. We didn't stay at any, mostly because we didn't feel like hanging with the twenty-somethings, but we heard that lots of codgers stay in backpackers, too. We stayed in tourist hotels with kitchenettes, and tried to find those which cost 100NZD or less. Most were very nice.

We wondered about the departure fee...If one doesn't pay it, do they make you stay? Sounds cheaper than going through immigration!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Default Holidaying in NZ

If you dont pay, I would imagine you also get fined, and then forcibly removed and not allowed to come back!

$25 doesnt seem so bad now....
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

kiwi_fairy is offline Senior Member

Default Holidaying in NZ

thanks for the info. I was fixing to start a topic to ask just that. :icon_mrgreen:

bikershaz is offline Member

Default Holidaying in NZ

Hi,

We have just returned from a holiday in NZ.

We hired a car, very cheaply, and we stayed in motels/motor lodges. We paid between 69 NZD to 115 NZD and they were all very good. Most had kitchenette and all had own bathroom and all bed linen and towels were included.

At all of the tourist information offices you can pick up free books with hotels, motels and motor lodges in. Definitely pick up this book, it was excellent. Their website is www.jasons.com so you can check out the prices yourself before you get there.

We went with Air Malaysia, who were very good and we paid just under ?600 each.

Our car hire cost approximately 600 NZD which was very good and this included full insurance. I would recommend taking the full insurance out, as it is NOT illegal to drive without insurance. Therefore if someone hits you and you do not have this insurance you will be liable!!

The only accommodation we booked in advance was a hotel for the first two nights in Auckland so we could crash for a while and take it easy and we were really glad that we did this. We stayed in the City Hotel in Auckland which cost 69 NZD per night for the two of us and we had our own bathroom. It was definitely not the most glamourous hotel I have stayed in but it served a purpose and we were within walking distance of central Auckland.

Hope this helps and have a good trip. :icon_mrgreen:

Default Holidaying in NZ

that was v. helpful. :) I'm looking at hotels this afternoon. I found several cheap car rentals, one for US $13 / day (small compact car, minimum coverage) but I'm a bit hesitant about that...seems too good to be true.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Holidaying in NZ

We used the AA lodging guide in conjunction with Jasons. Much info was the same, but they also had different listings. We prefered the AA guide. We looked for lodging with a Qualmark rating (3 stars), and were only disappointed once with a dingy little place in Westport. Oh, and if you have a motorclub membership in your home country (AAA in the States), you can get discounts with AA participants. There aren't many, but if you stay at one, you might as well save a little cash.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Default Holidaying in NZ

is it better to fly into Auckland or Wellington, or does it matter? I spent hours looking at air fares yesterday. I found a really really good deal flying into Auckland but we really weren't going to do that part of the NI so dad's not sure if we should drive down to WLG from there or what...any suggestions? Christchurch is an option but I thought it'd be kinda confusing to fly back and forth from the NI and SI since we're mostly going to travel over the NI. (dad does want to take the tranz alpine train ride)

Blog Entries

Default Holidaying in NZ

Well, there's some pretty nice scenery on the way! It's always nice to see as much as you can, and you cant fault the views when you drive anywhere in NZ. It's a long old hike from Aucks to Welly, thats for sure!

I hope you remembered to check flight prices with Taffy Air :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast