Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buildings Insurance

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Buildings Insurance

How much is this generally and perhaps more importantly do they cover for the dreaded 'acts of god' i.e. if one of these earthquakes decides to mess with my matchstick house in a big way or it gets floooded by the sea swells everyones panicing about, will I be short $250 odd k?
    Surely not!!! :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

nattydread is offline God like figure

if it was here you'd be short more than that so whats the point in worrying about it..??

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Yes, you can get buildings insurance Steve - I assume you'll pay more if you live in what they'd class as a 'high-risk' area......

There was a piece on the news a few weeks ago about how some homes in Tauranga had been washed away and/or damaged in recent floods following a few days torrential rain, and a lot of people were not insured and lost everything, so insurance is advisable to buy if it's within your budget.

I'll see if I can find out for you what you'll typically be expecting to pay for buildings insurance - watch this space!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Insurance helps, but be aware of potential hazards where your house is situated. Slopes and cliffs erode, floodplains flood, etc. The hazard might not strike every year, but when it does, watch out. If your home is situated in a hazardous area, be sure your insurance policy doesn't specifically exclude damage from it. In CA, we have to buy separate earthquake insurance, and it's not cheap.

I'm not sure if a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) or Property Summary Report would have hazards info, but it could be a place to start. Real estate attorneys may also be able to steer you in the right direction. Try http://www.realenz.co.nz/. I believe it was through that site that I stumbled on some recommendations about hazards info. A geotechnical or civil engineering firm might also be of use. Good luck.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Hmmmm sounds a bit hazy!! Surely a mortgage lender won't lend on a non-insured building. With our HSBC mortgage it's the only stipulation of the mortgage. Be surprised if it's not similar over there. Car Insurance is cheaper hope building insurance is too not thats its dear in the UK.
    I always find it strange that my 300 quid car costs 600 to insure but my contents and whole building is less.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You can't drive your house or sofa in to a tree when you're drunk, or take your fridge for a 100mph jaunt down the motorway!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Accidental Damage!!! You can drive your car into your house when drunk and the bill will still be more for the house :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif
    Or Puke all over you CEILING!!! :icon_mrgreen:

moggy is offline God like figure

[quote:a2f9425abe="Taffy"]You can't drive your house or sofa in to a tree when you're drunk, or take your fridge for a 100mph jaunt down the motorway![/quote:a2f9425abe]

You might want to re-think that last statement

Kiwi caught speeding semi-naked on motorised bar stool
    A New Zealand man ended up in court after he was seen speeding semi-naked down a road on a motorised barstool with his backside on fire.

Neighbours reported John Sullivan to the police and he has now been sentenced to carry out 200 hours' community work.

Sullivan, of Tauranga, confessed to having "had a few" and said he shouldn't have been on the road on the motorised barstool, which he claimed could reach 50mph.

The flames come courtesy of one of Mr Sullivan's party tricks which involves a piece of rolled-up newspaper and a cigarette lighter.

Sullivan was upset taxpayers' money was spent prosecuting him, but conceded that driving a vehicle with no warrant and no registration was probably pushing the law a bit far.

"One cop wasn't too happy but the other two were laughing their heads off," he told the New Zealand Herald.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You're just being silly now Steve :icon_lol:

You dont see me making silly remarks like that....

At this point, I think I should delete all prior posts i've made :icon_cool:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hehehe well how close did you live to the Dirty Sanchez boys or E-Jets Taffy. It wasn't a million miles away was it hehe. :icon_lol:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast