Thread: Hello

GlenW is offline Member

Default Hello

Hello,
    I'm a newbie here and don't really have anything to contribute yet, but my EOI was selected from the pool a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting a bit excited.
    Anyone got any advice, apart from large quantities of vodka or valium. :icon_cool:

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Hello

Hi Glen,
    Welcome to the forum ::):

Any idea on where in NZ you'd like to move to? And when are you planning on making the move?

You'll get heaps of advice and info on here, so hope we can be of help to you!

My only advice at for you at the moment is don't take the vodka and the valium at the same time! :icon_confused: :icon_wink:

GlenW is offline Member

Default Hello

Hello Welshgirl,

From what I can tell the 3 main centres for what I do are; Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
    So far I really like the sound of Christchurch, Wellington seems OK and Auckland appears to be expensive.
    But any of them will probably be a much nicer place to live than Newcastle.

Blog Entries

Default Hello

Newcastle that bad huh?..... You sound like you feel the same as me about living in a major city in the UK - fed up, disheartened and want out!

You'll find lots of opinions on lots of places on this forum. Imho, Auckland is too expensive and too populated but is good for jobs - worth noting also that you will lose points with regards to your PR app if you plan to live in Auckland. Christchurch is nice, supposed to be a 'mini-England' (I heard that from a Kiwi!) and there's some great scenery in the SI, although the weather tends to be a bit cooler on the SI. Wellington, again highly populated but, as the capital of NZ, lots to offer and probably good on the job front too. Does suffer from frequent earthquakes though, so I'd advise against Welly if you're worried about them!

Anyway, good luck with your EOI :icon_biggrin:

GlenW is offline Member

Default Hello

Just been on the phone to an employment agent who reckons he might be able to get me a job offer in Hamilton.
    From your sig I see you live there, what's it like?
    I've been looking at house prices there and they seem too good to be true.

Blog Entries

Default Hello

I'd recommend Hamilton to anyone - wasn't our first choice of places to live (we started off in Tauranga) but turned out to be the best decision we ever made!

Hamilton is the 4th largest city in NZ, so if you're looking for isolation it's probably not the place for you but having said that, you don't have to go too far to get a decent view! The people are great, shops are in abundance and schools generally seem to perform well. Properties are reasonably priced for a city of this size (population is approx 200,000) - depends what you're after really.....

HTH ::):