Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Island

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default North Island

I've heard many people say that you should head for the south island if you want the best scenery. Does this therefore mean that the north island's scenery is not that good?

I love nice scenery and areas that are sparsely populated you see. I live in the south east of england which is overcrowded and not that pretty where I live. I realise that the north island has the best job opportunities having done a bit of research, but I'd prefer to balance that with scenery and low population. Is this possible?

tottefan.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default North Island

From what I've heard, the South Island is 'the' place to be for stunning scenery and less people. However, we live on the North Island and we've done a fair bit of travelling, and in my opinion, the North Island also has some spectacular scenery to offer. If you stay away from the immediate area of the major cities, you'll find as much or as little isolation as you want!

Can't elaborate any more than that as I've not been to the South Island yet, but imho, NI has ample wonderful scenery! I came from a big city too (Cardiff) and wanted away from so many people, ugly buildings and over-priced shops, and found everything I was looking for in the NI ::):

HTH :icon_biggrin:

krapotkin is offline Junior Member

Default North Island

I too live on the north island. I believe the scenary to be more dramatic on the south island. But you can't beat the weather here in Northland it was 18 here on June 20.
    90 mile beach ,the bay of islands- your choice ,do you want high mountains or wonderful beaches ,surrounded by near rain forrest hills.
    It's all a personal choice
    Krapotkin

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default North Island

18 there on June the 20th Midwinter (near as damn it)

15 or 16 here same day ( Midsummer.. HAH!!!!!)

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default North Island

It's all that global warming, Craig!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default North Island

Hmmm not sure its accurate to say there are no good beaches in SI. The beaches down the east coast and near Christchurch are truly awesome. The scenery is gorgeous in NI from what I can work out, particularly around the southern point of the Island. However I would imagine there are some amazing beach/coast/bay scenes up there also.
    Its like in the UK, in cornwall the scenery is wonderful but ehre is quite al lot of heathland and moorlike ares, and the grass is often quite scorched because of the high sunshine areas. On the flip side, I live ion in Herefordshire and it's lush and green with wonderful forests and winding roads through steep hills. I wonder if there's a similar comparison between North and South Island.

Hehe scenery isn't one of my reasons for moving, I really appreciate whats left of wonderful England/Wales, it's just the rest of it thats shite!!

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default North Island

[quote:371332e9d2]Hehe scenery isn't one of my reasons for moving, I really appreciate whats left of wonderful England/Wales, it's just the rest of it thats shite!!

[/quote:371332e9d2]
    :005: Couldn't agree more Stevey.

moggy is offline God like figure

Default North Island

I've not been to NI, but yes the scenery is breathtaking in SI.
    We are heading for SI because it is a lot less populated, but at the same time there are some large populations so work prospects are still good - Christchurch and Dunedin for example

there are some great beaches and even on the westcoast where the majority are shingle it doesn't detract from their beauty and they are fantastic for beach combing. You can find some really spectacular pieces of driftwood. The rivers on SI are turquoise like you wouldn't believe!

GlenW is offline Member

Default North Island

[quote:4436d0fae7="SteveyC"]England/Wales, it's just the rest of it thats shite!![/quote:4436d0fae7]
    That would be Scotland then. :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default North Island

Oh God i didn't agree to that did I? :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif
    Stevey stop getting us in trouble! :icon_wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast