Thread: New Houses / Builders

nattydread is offline God like figure

Default New Houses / Builders

Who would be the New Zealand equivalent of Wimpey or Bellway or Barrat or Persimmon...

Are there companies like those above in NZ..?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Take your pick!

Golden Homes, Grasshopper Developments, Precision Homes etc etc. They are not quite the same as your average Wimpey or Redrow builder though. These companies build houses that are actually spacious and look well worth the money, as opposed to Redrow etc who build grand looking houses that internally are the size of shoeboxes.

The other difference is that there doesnt seem to be a national giant. All these builders seem to remain within their own territory.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

NickampJacky Guest

Taffy

I take your comments personally, as i used to work for Wimpey. HOWEVER just becuase I take them personally, it doesnt mean I dont agree with you. Yes they are crap size wise & when they say "detached" what they mean to say is "you will skin your knuckles if you try to push a wheelbarrow between your "detached house"and next door".

I wont tell you about the time they built a bungalow too low and had to jack up the roof and lay an extra 3 courses of bricks............ :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Not quite as bad as Redrow, who built a new estate not far from where I used to live which hit the press in a big way. 2 years after they had finished the place, they found over 60% of the houses had a small problem... all the cement between the bricks had washed away!

And the other big difference between the UK giants and the kiwi builders... Roads!! What is it with those new estates in the UK, that you have to wait years for the last lick of paint on the very last house to be applied before they lay the roads? The roads are done FIRST here! (usually!)

Dont take any of it personally... i'm only generalising! I'm sure they built good homes for many thousands of people elsewhere :icon_biggrin:
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Milliemoo is offline Senior Member

[quote:ce36d11195="Taffy"]Not quite as bad as Redrow, who built a new estate not far from where I used to live which hit the press in a big way. 2 years after they had finished the place, they found over 60% of the houses had a small problem... all the cement between the bricks had washed away!

[/quote:ce36d11195]

Oohhhh I think I saw that on TV. It was on one of those "New Homes from Hell" programmes on ITV :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Milliemoo :icon_wink:
    Fly to Auckland 12th Nov - Devonport here we come!