Thread: Retiring in NZ

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Retiring in NZ

My parents are also seriously considering moving out to NZ. They are not sure about the move (i.e. don't know much about NZ) but want to live near me and my sister and see any future grandchildren regularly. I wondered whether NZ is a great place for old people (they're both nearing 60). They basically want somewhere quiet, peaceful, friendly with nice scenery. Are there any retirees (or anyone generally) who has an opinion on whether NZ is a good country for old people?

tottefan.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Retiring in NZ

How many siblings do you have? I'm sure there's something about 'if the majority of immediate family are in NZ then parents are allowed over'
    Someone could correct me on this, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Zemanova is offline Member

Default Retiring in NZ

We have recently retired to New Zealand, although it is an early retirement, both being in our late 50's. We are here with no other family, other than my elderly mother who lives on South Island, while we are in Cambridge, on North Island. In our case the rest of the family (children and grandchildren are back in the UK)

Personally we think NZ is a great place to retire to, although it is difficult for older people to qualify for PR. We were lucky to be selected in the annual draw for the family quota scheme, which unfortunately seems to have been discontinued.

We came here for a better life and in the 2 months we have been here that has been very evident. We are not "stay at home and watch the TV " people and we love to get out and see place and meet people. NZ is great for both. We will soon be moving into the house we have bought and then it is a case of getting out there and meeting and mixing with wonderful friendly new zealanders. We have already identified a number of clubs where people share our interests.

The down side is that as a pensioner you pay more income tax in NZ than in the UK. Here there is no personal allowance and 10% tax band. All worldwide earnings up to $38,000 are taxed at 19.5%. However many other aspects of NZ are so much cheaper than UK. We came with very open minds,which is important. They say that older people get set in their ways, well over here you must accept that it is not the UK and things you took for granted in the UK, are not always available here.

The only area of concern we have is double glazing and central heating which is not easy to find in NZ. That said, we will see out our first NZ winter before we decide if either or both are necessary.

The rules relating to family are basically that if you have more direct family (parents and children) in NZ than UK, you can obtain PR, although I think that the family member sponsoring must have lived in NZ for 3 years.

Hope this helps

Pam & Dave

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default Retiring in NZ

My brother lives in NZ and has had residency for over 3 years. My family and I are in the process of the EOI decision and hope to join him out there with PR by Dec 2005. My parents want to come out to live in 2006. If my brother sponsors them and they have more children in NZ than UK will they automatically get PR??

Hope you can help
    Fisheress

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Retiring in NZ

Even though they have plenty of family, the actual family sponsorship system is much like the lottery. There are only 250 spaces available per year for worldwide applications, so chances of getting selected can be pretty slim on times.

It could be many years before they get picked, and then it takes up to 12 months to be assigned a case officer.. after that, up to another 12 months for the application to be processed.

The family category does still exist, but was on a temporary hold (and may still be) due to the volume of other applications the NZIS had to handle.

Fisheress, if your brother is going to sponsor your parents, he may as well put the application in right now! There is only a draw once every year, so chances of them being selected is pretty remote until at least 2006.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default Retiring in NZ

Thanks Taffy!
    Will get him to do that asap! Thanks for the advice. I know I can always rely on you for an answer! Hope NZ is treating you well.
    Fisheress