Thread: Nelson questions

pelagia is offline Junior Member

Default Nelson questions

Hi all.
    Moving to Nelson in August with my husband and have some questions for those of you who know more about the place that I do (only been there once for two days...)

Are there any "asian-type" markets like the ones in Auckland where you can get cheap and nice veges? Maybe farmers-markets? Or are you confined to the supermarkets?

Sports facilites... obviously Nelson is a haven for outdoors sports, but how about gyms, swimming pools etc? Also, any Riding clubs around the region? Social rugby?

Public transport.... very limited I assume?

Areas... what are some nice areas to look at when renting a house? Close to shops and pubs, nice and green?

Well that's it for now.

Last but not least... anyone else thinking of heading to nelson? Would be fun to swap stories and maybe have a barbie once we arrive :icon_biggrin:

Cheers!

NickampJacky Guest

Default Nelson questions

Nice choice with Nelson

In Reverse order;

Places to rent - decent rental houses in the summer are like rockinghorse doo-doo, but if you are going in august then there should be a few. Stoke is typically sub-urban, with a few shops and close(ish) to Nelson, big bonus is that is close to the honest lawyer pub, a mecca for ex-pats. Richmond is nice, its own shopping mall etc. Atawahi - lovely houses & views over boulder bank, but a little out on a limb. Tahuanuhi - similar to Stoke & close to the beach. Down town Nelson - close to shops, but not the best place to live.

Big swimming pool complex between Richmond & Stoke, fantastic beach at Tahuanuhi & rabbit Island, dont know about gyms but there will be a couple i guess.

Buses between Nelson, Richmond, Stoke, Wakefield etc not too bad. Anywhere else is "long haul".

There are a couple or riding schools / trekking centres up the Rai Valley and down pigeon valley to the south west. Rugby clubs are dotted around, with the main ground being just north of Nelson before Atawahi.

Not so much farmers markets, a few fresh veggie shops with a good choice, but lots of roadside stalls outside peoples houses selling their own veg and a few small holdings have shops (barely) selling seasonal veggies. Organic is big in Nelson, the brewery run at the "founders park" is all organic and tastes nealy as good as Mac's.

Try www.harlequin.co.nz & www.nelsonmail.co.nz for a few ideas too.

Any specific info ask I will get my brother to find out for you.

Cheers

Nick

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Nelson questions

Nelson is a possibility for us. We were also there for a few days and liked it. The area supports many market gardens, so I hope produce is plentiful & fresh. We did go into a produce market in Stoke, but weren't impressed with the quality. I think the supermarket across the carpark had better produce, perhaps because of refrigeration. Am not sure about farmer's markets, but one would hope they have at least one.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

NickampJacky Guest

Default Nelson questions

Forgot to say, as you can guess, we will be heading for Nelson. Next easter prosepecting for jobs and planning to be there for good in Sept 06.

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Nelson questions

We love the look of Nelson, as you know Nick and Jacky but do they get big earthquakes in Nelson with it been on the same fault as welly?

Just checking :icon_wink:

NickampJacky Guest

Default Nelson questions

I can recall my brother saying they have had a couple of small ones......enough to ripple the wine in a glass, but not enough to cause them any concern.................................it may be the quiet before the storm then in geological terms!!!!!!!!!! Only joking

Default Nelson questions

the more small earthquakes the better. If the energy is released in small portions often, there is less likelyhood of a great one due to build up of energy. I'd much rather live in a place that shakes a little a couple a times a month than in, say California, where the big one is just waiting to happen. :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Default Nelson questions

oh sorry, I forgot to thank everyone for tips!

Very excited about the move!!! yay! :icon_biggrin:

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Nelson questions

[quote:d003658bfc="pelagia"]I'd much rather live in a place that shakes a little a couple a times a month than in, say California, where the big one is just waiting to happen.[/quote:d003658bfc]
    Actually we get a lot of little quakes, but it seems to be only the significant ones near major population centers that get noticed. My area is very seismically active, but who cares, because there aren't millions of people living up here. Last week's quake did generate a tsunami warning, which was of broader interest. Anyway, as I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum, don't worry overmuch about quakes. Educate yourself about earthquake safety, and you'll probably be fine.

I do believe there is a major fault between North & South Islands - which explains the very different geology on each. Not sure how active it is, though. Gotta take a local geology course when we get there.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s