Thread: To holiday or not to holiday

moggy is offline God like figure

Default To holiday or not to holiday

We are aiming for going out next year. I am trying to decide whether we should make our first week there into a holiday. We toured the South Island earlier this year but didn't touch the north Island, I was thinking possibly about hiring a camper van and driving down from Aukland to Christchurch. The rational is that with the smaller number of NZ holidays, we are unlikely to get time to do it later. That and I reckon with the jet lag we won't be fit to work for a week.

The other alternative is to get a stopover in perhaps India which is a place that I have wanted to go to for years (though not sure if my sari collection could take all that temptation lol)

thoughts?

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Emmm If you are sure you want to live in the south Moggy, perhaps going to India would be a brilliant oppotunity for you, the north island been accessible to you when you live in New Zealand.

I wouldn't really like to say though, we have no idea where we want to live yet, that's the reason we are touring both north and south island.

Ian's brother went to India for three months and he said it was fantastic!
    Either way I would be sure to have that week before you start work if you can.

We definitely want the south island - fewer people. Also we plan on going with at least me having a job so we will know exactly where we will end up. The idea of touring NI is mainly to see the bits we didn't manage to see on our hols. Mind you I suppose with everything being so far away it might be an idea to keep some bits of NI for exploring later.

I am seriously tempted with India, the thought of so many saris to choose from :icon_mrgreen:

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Holidays will be the same as UK by 2007, most companies already offer 20 days as it is. Think they have one more bank holiday than us too. Go to India!! NI can wait I'm sure. Also as regards everywhere being far away, fiji and australia surely have more to offer than most of Europe put together in the same flight time.

got a quote on singapore airlines, which I guess probably won't be the most sensible route as you have to go to Singapore and then back to India but it was quoting over 6K!!

6K!! For two of you, were you going first class. We were quoted 3,500 for all 5 of us.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I would go to India too!

If you are too jet-lagged to work, you will probably be too jet-lagged to do much driving those first few days - and there are a lot of miles between Auckland and Christchurch.

IMO (generalising here a bit) apart from the volcanic area around Rotorua the NI is like the SI but without the breath-taking mountain ranges. Explore the NI another time.

:icon_biggrin:
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

India sounds like a good option while enroute. But you may also want a bit of time to settle in your new home before starting work. A month's holiday should do it! :icon_razz:
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Now thats a sensible idea Selchie :icon_biggrin: