Thread: Records from doctors, where do they go?

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Records from doctors, where do they go?

This might be a silly question, and i've already looked to see if someone else has already posted it, so not to look double stupid!! But what does your doctors in the UK do with all your medical records? Do they send them to a NZ doctor when you are settled? :icon_confused: Sorry just wondered.
    Don't they need them to do your immigration medicals, if your having them in NZ of course?

nasha01 is offline Member

When you have your medicals done for immigration, you attend a 'panel doctor' and they do not need to see your medical notes....unless a problem arises and immigration want further investigation. :icon_razz:

Once you have been granted PR then you need to arrange for copies of your medical notes to take with you to NZ. I have asked at my surgery and I have been advised that all I need to do is write a letter to the Practice Manager at my surgery, a few weeks prior to departure requesting copies of our medical notes. All they do is photocopy everything....I was advised it will cost me between ?10 and ?50 each.....which I think is reallg good. The cost depends upon how thick your records are....so if you have had to visit the doctor lots then your record content will be greater, hence cost more to copy. Once you register with a GP in NZ, just hand the notes to them....along with your x-rays you had done for the medicals.

Remember under the new Freedom of Information Act EVERYONE is entitled to access information held about them. :icon_razz: :icon_razz:

Thanks Laura, great info!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I recommend that you make photocopies of your medical records for yourself, while you have them in your hot little hands. It can help for filling out the occasional medical form, or reminding yourself of when you last had a tetanus booster.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

What, can I actually get my records in my hot little hands Selchie!

Cool if so!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Well, at least in the States you can. When I moved, I asked my previous physician to send copies of my records to my new doc, and to me. So far I haven't been charged. Not sure if I'm getting everything, but I have the basic info. Good luck in your neck of the woods.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s